New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backlock actions - what are they?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought Christopher Austyn's "Classic Sporting Rifles" and among it's pages are fleeting mentions of "backlock" actions, which Austyn says are extremely strong, but then gives no reasons why this type of action seems to have died out. Towards the end, he mentions that J Winkler of Ferlach made a full backlock .500 NE double rifle recently but says nothing more than that this weighed 8lb 12oz and must have been horrible to fire.
Could anyone please give some information on these and also tell us if these action types are still being made, and, if they aren't, why the design has been given up.
Thanks.

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
mehulkamdar---

Back action locks are sidelock guns with the mainspring for the, almost always exposed, hammer(s) *behind* the hammer.

Side lock guns have the mainsprings forward of the hammers attached to the tang that's inletted into the sides of the action.

Back lock guns were strong in the receiver but weak in the stock. It's fairly rare to find one without stock problems. No back action that I know of were made for smokeless powder and most were locked by underlevers or rudimentary dolls head locks.

BTW-- Box locks have the hammer and mainsprings in the receiver.

Trigger plate actions have the hammers and or mainsprings mounted to the trigger plate on what looks like a box lock action.

Give me an email addy and I'll send a couple pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
J Belk,
I have sent you an e-mail and am waiting for ther pictures - thank you very much in advance.
Surprisingly, Austyn has pictures of a backlock Holland and Holland chambered for the .280 Ross in his book and speaks about a recent J Winkler creation in .500 Nitro with backlocks.
Thank you very much for the information.

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I know I'm rude sometimes. I don't mean to be pissing in the wind, but take a look at this link http://www.hollandandholland.com/gunrooms/london/newguns/sidelock-double-rifle.htm

Back action is not "ElOldo" it's new and still avilable [Big Grin]

Cheers
/ JOHAN

<JBelk>
posted
JOHAN---

I've been wrong before. I got email from Abbiatico ~ Sallvinelli saying they make a backlock too.

<JOHAN>
posted
JBelk

No Worries. This is the great about this forum riflenuts worldwide can unite [Big Grin]

Regards
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
J Belk and Johan,

Thank you both very much for all the help with info.

J Belk - I received your mail and am about to open it. It should be splendid. Thank you very much.

Johan - The link to Holland and Holland said 'Round Action Sidelock' Double rifle. Is that the same as a backlock? I couldn't find any pictures. Thanks again.

<JOHAN>
posted
mehulkamdar

After round action the description says Back action. Rounc acton is that they reciver and sidelocks are rounded. The action is nicer to handle and looks pretty cool.

Back action means that the spring dor the side lock is housed in the rear to the side lock and the there has not been milled out any metall from the front part towards the forend.

Holland are greedy with pics sometimes, check and book about sidelock rifles or double rifles.