New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 Mountain rifle question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a SS/Lam Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 30-06 that I'm pondering turning into a 270 Win. I'd really like the stock and but would like to use a #2 or #3 contour barrel. Will this work well or just OK??? I don't want it to look or feel awkward. If it wouldn't be a good combo, I'll probably just sell the rifle and try a 270 WSM. Thanks.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A #2 contour might be possible, but not a #3. You will have to compare the diameter of the new barrel to the width of the fore end (at the top flat) at several places along the fore end. The flat top surface of the fore end must be wider than the barrel, or once inletted, the top of the fore end will not be level. I think you'd be better off with a different stock.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NEDRASKA: I HAD A 260 MT. RIFLE WITH A BOX CLIP. I CHANGED BARRELS TO A #3 CONTOUR MATCH GRADE SHILEN AND IT WORKS FINE. IT LOOKS GREAT TOO. GAVE THE RIFLE GOOD FORWARD WEIGHT FOR OFF HAND SHOOTING. KILLED TWO DEER WITH IT THIS YEAR. IT TACKS OUT TO 200 YARDS WITH 140 GRAIN BULLETS. MY BUDDY DID HIS 270 THE SAME WAY. IT WORKED WELL TOO. FOREARM SIZE WASN'T A PROBLEM. I FELT LIKE IT WOULD BE BUT MY GUNSMITH SAID I WOULD BE FINE. I WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH WHAT HE DID ON THIS GUN. ITS NOW MY FAVORITE TIGHT WOODS CARRYING RIFLE DUE TO THE EASY HANDLING OF IT. GOOD LUCK.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have any pics?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,
Maybe i'm missing something but why would you want to go from a 30/06 to a .270 Winchester?
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,
Are you going to .270 or .270 WSSM? From 30-06 to .270 makes no sense at all to me. 30-06 to .270 WSSM I can sort of understand. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote