New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes the lightest rifle stocks these days
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody appreciates a nice woodstock custom better than I. A lot of you have seen a few of mine. They get hunted also. I do not kick dirt on a synthetic stocked rifle. It doesn't bother me about your preference, I just have my own.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
My M70 375 H&H wearing a Brown "pounder" that is finished off at 22 oz with bedding, paint and pad. I own Mcm's and High Tech's and this one feels best.

Got anymore photo's?
How long is the barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a dozen+ Brown Precision fiberglass stocks and also 4-5 Kevlar stocks on a ton of rifles for friends and family. They make a fine stock when properly done but I think I'll try a Wildcat Composite on the next one just to see if they're any good (which I'm sure they are or I wouldn't waste my time and money).
The price is right on the Wildcats and they couldn't be as hard to work on as those damned raw Kevlar's that I've done.
My 280AI and 300 WSM currently wear the BP Kevlar and they're pretty sweet. My 270 has worn a Kevlar since the mid 80's.
Thanks for sharing info and for the links.
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I thought I would show how mine turned out, sorry for the bad photo.
My rifle is a Win M70 pushfeed, 30/06, Featherweight barrel contour by Bartlein stretched out to 24", Talley 2 piece lightweight rings/bases, Leupold 3-9x40, ceramic coated black, Wildcat Composites stock, metal work, finish and stock paint job by Kevin Weaver, Weaverrifles.com
The Wildcat stock arrived weighing 16-17 ounces.
The whole package as it is pictured weighs 7 pounds 5 ounces.
Handles like a dream, shoots 165 Accubonds and 180 Sierra's right around .75" 5 shot groups at 100 yards.
I've had this rifle for 30 years and this facelift should last at least another 30.

I just shot this group a couple minutes ago, not bad for a lightweight set up.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Not that I want you to rip it apart, do you recall what the stock weighed after paint pad and glue?

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've put on four Wildcat stocks and they were good enough to work with that Iordered one for myself to build myself a lighter sheep rifle. This is not because I need it, you understand. I'm rough and tough and have no problem packing a nine pound rifle but I'm told that when I get old it will be a different story!
Those I have used didn't require nearly the amount of additional resin and Bondo that the Brown Precisions I have done needed. I don't mind a 24 oz stock. It's still lighter than the factory wood and the weather won't hurt it. I'll be able to outrun, out jump, and out climb the sheep this year with my new light rifle. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3586 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not that I want you to rip it apart, do you recall what the stock weighed after paint pad and glue?

20 ounces.

Disclaimer for all nit pickers:
Please keep in mind that all weights that I have quoted are weighed on a Berkley fish scale that weighs in pounds and ounces. They are not certified Postal scales however they keep giving identical readings on items weighed repeatedly.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictured below is my Brown Precision as I received it. It is bedded to my metal work, studs and recoil pad and painted-23oz. There vare some nasty look on the front ring part that is nothing other than I didn't wipe the rusty dust off. My metal work ended up at Richter Precision in Pennsylvania for a PVD coating. It is an ADL. I will weigh it after the metal gets here.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
20 ounces is pretty light. I like the Wildcats because of how stiff they are. Very little flex in them without the use of aluminum.

That's kinda purdy Butch. Looks like Grandpa gotta new toy to play with pretty soon!

dancing

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote