New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blueing/metal prep needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm a kitchen table stock maker/plagiarizer and find myself needing a rifle and all hardware blued. The prep work will need to be done also. Too many times I see guys just dunk the metal and all the original machine and lathe marks are still there.
Any suggestions of an AR member who would take the job (or any outside suggestions)?
Thanks in advance for the pointing help!
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The prep work is what costs; the actual bluing is fast and easy. Why don't you try rust bluing?

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The prep work is what costs

tu2

Let's see
Take gun apart clean
might remove old bluing or start polishing
send SEVERAL hours polishing parts.
take off a little finger skin on course compound
burn a little finger skin on final compound.
Always watch the wheel so you lift off and edge never on. Oops don't make the holes oval really will pi$$ off the owner.

If customer wants S&W or Weatherby factory GLOSS double effort. Those supper fine compounds really get the metal hot so add burn your fingers to the list.

Wire parts for suspending
heat TANKS while tanks are heating find your old clothes with caustic soda holes rubber apron gloves boots filter and face shield.
suspend in cleaning tank
dip in rinse tank (until I found different cleaner)
suspend in bluing tank for around 20 minutes
clean
oil
reassemble lose at least one small part Roll Eyes
Take gun back to shop so gunshop can add 200% markup. Mad

So yep bluing takes about 20-40 minutes of the entire process.

There are a lot of other steps in there but I've been trying to forget that part of my misspent youth. rotflmo
coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Sorry ZekeShikar. No help here.

quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
There are a lot of other steps in there but I've been trying to forget that part of my misspent youth. rotflmo
coffee

I have to applaud people I meet, that have the guts and tenacity to do bluing and actually do it PROPERLY and do a good clean job of it.

Of course, after their backs are turned to me and they are walking away and despite the fact that they might be charging ten times the going rate. I am quietly saying to myself: " What an idiot. What a looser.What a retard. What a MORON ! Is this guy REALLY that stupid ? GOOD GRIEF !" Wink

LMAO ROFF

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
jumping lol

Boy did you call that right.

Toomany Tools has done several matt blue jobs for me. I would for sure use him again. As to a gloss job sorry no first hand experience haven't had one done

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the secret is to find someone who lives in the far north and has an ugly wife and is not a drinker.
If you find him, let me know. I have a couple of blueing jobs for him to do. rotflmo

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Sounds like the secret is to find someone who lives in the far north and has an ugly wife and is not a drinker.
If you find him, let me know. I have a couple of blueing jobs for him to do. rotflmo

I have often though one could try finding a mental asylum where basket weaving has given way to gun bluing.

But that's just crazy. Or is it ?

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually LIKE polishing and prefer to do most by hand. My theory is that it takes me longer to screw something up by hand so I can stop before I go too far! Regards Bill

Posts: 3571 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mel Doyle, Plummer, Idaho. Google will find him. Specify the level of work you want, and he should be able to do it. Just be very specific about what you want, and be willing to pay for what you ask for, not the lowest rate he will quote for the average job. He does 90% of the work in that area of the country, most shops that take in bluing jobs in the northwest sub it to him and mark it up. His turn around time is reasonable, and the work is good for the price charged.

dave

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
I actually LIKE polishing and prefer to do most by hand. My theory is that it takes me longer to screw something up by hand so I can stop before I go too far! Regards Bill

I bet you have a bunch of people pretty worried now Billy. I've known you since the Guncraft days in the late 70s so I know you're a bit nutz. These people DON'T ! lol

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mel Doyle, Plummer, Idaho

Business Name: Mel Doyles Gun Shop

Phone Number: (208) 686-1006

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am originally from that area and travel through frequently. I'll have to stop in some time. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3571 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A VERY sincere thanks for all the replies!

I knew I'd get some ribbing but I cannot expect otherwise since I dish it out... sometimes.

I feel like I'm too old of a dog to learn a new trick and I certainly appreciate the man who can do a job which I cannot.

I do not want high gloss, I'd prefer something a bit more subtle but some bead blasting looks too tacticool for this job.

thanks and keep it up,
Zeke

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Here is an example of Toomany Tools Satin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's about perfect Paul!