Find
Notify
Tools

Sako AII Guide rib question...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here's a question for the Sako addicts/owners, I need to clarify something:

I've owned an AII for nigh on 18 years and I dimly remember when I first got the action the exploded drawing showed a loose pin which rested in a recess inside the guide rib. This was supposed to roll into those two detents which lie at 90 deg to each other (or bolt cuts if you want to call them that) and stop the guide rib from being able to rotate around the bolt shaft. Since the action was barrelled by a smith the guide does the 180 deg around the shaft, but it never bugged me til now.

OK so here's the question: Does anybody here own a Sako whose guide rib only moves through 90 deg or does it go 180 deg around the shaft? If it is only doing the 90 deg, what mechanism is being used?

I'm not asking you to take apart your bolt, just if you have done so, did you notice what was in that recess?

Cheers

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Pete---

It's been 25 years since I had one apart but I think I remember a small, bent leaf spring behind a small steel block that drops into those recesses. It doesn't *prevent* the rib from rotating, but it does give a detent at the proper spots.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Pete I fitted on of these Sako guide ribs to a push feed Winchester M70 several years ago & it did rotate 180 degrees. I don't think its anything to worry about.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx guys, I am awaiting a reply from Sako regarding the availability of parts.

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rotation is not a problem but the possibility forthe rib to slide forward under recoil is.The guide rib should be pinned behind one of the collars. Otherwise it can move forward under recoil and jam the rifle. Not a good thing. The little spring steel clips that are supposed to prevent this do not always do their job. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote