New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Semi-Inlet" Grips
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Having been bit by the rifle stockmaking bug, I'm interested in trying my hand at making handgun grips.

I'm restricted to hand tools so I'm wondering whether anyone offers grips that have been machine-inletted but not shaped. Specifically looking for 1911 & S&W revolver grips. I'm capable of doing all of the shaping, sanding & finishing myself but the inletting seems like a bit much.

I've reached-out to a few gripmakers that I've done business with in the past but none are interested. Any ideas?

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Collins Craft grips offer "kit" grips, but I think only for the Colt SAA. He might be willing to do others, you might contact him. He is a very nice person to deal with. Don't have his website where I am now, but do a google search and you should find him. You might also try Herrets (sp?). Good luck

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll reach out to him, thank you. Herrett's wasn't interested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to watch this thread carefully. We (Sound Metal Products) were thinking of offering a "kit" Lotsa pros and more cons..nothing worse than a "bubba'd set of grips with the maker's name stamped inside...Don't blame them for being a bit aloof...let's see how it plays out.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane, I absolutely understand your position & don't disagree. I guess the comparison here is that plenty of great stockmakers (including a few guild members) offer semi-inlet riflestocks for guys like me to "bubba" without concern of a backlash.

For whatever reason, I feel like metal parts are different & agree that you should enter this area of the market carefully if at all.