Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mauser action rankings
 Login/Join

posted
IMHO, from one who has done several re-builds, you are usually just as well off buying a new rifle. You will almost always spend less money and often have a better rifle that operates as well if not better. That said, building your own custom rifles just is "fun". Some calibers are not available commercially, and your 458 SOCOM on a 95 Mauser is just the "Cat's Pajamas"........... Captain http://FrangibleBullets.Com]

Posts: 15 | Location: Indiana, PA | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With all of the talk of "mil-surps" and various flavors of Mauser type actions (years, countries, models, etc), what are the differences, and how would you rate them quality-wise or in degree of preferability?

I'm not interested in anything specific, just hoping to have all of the muddy waters somewhat cleared if I happen to find a "deal" in a pawn shop, etc.

Any that are better or more desirable, or any to avoid? And how do you tell some of them apart?

I admit a certain degree of ignorance when it comes to these actions (they almost all look the same to me...), but am still curious...

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Step one for getting clarity is to become opinionated, like meSmiler

1) VZ24, 98/22, early German K98, and 1909 Argintene Mauser
2) Yugo 48 type, 24/47, and Turkish Mausers
3) 94, 96, and 1938 Swedish Mauser
4) 93 Spanish Mauser

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'll provide my prejudices.....er rankings...military '98 mausers only

First is the ones made by J P Sauer in the 1930s to 1943
second is the 1909 argentine
third are the ones DWM, BRNO, Mauserwerk, FN
then all others ( and that's a bunch) except
last are the ones with stamped floorplates largely made in 1945...these may be missing the safety lug, heat treating and other shortcuts found in desperation toward the end of the war.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 1935 Chelian and its ilk, the Brno 21 and 22, the g33/40, vz33, VZ24, and 1909 Argintine (DWM only), and pretty much in that order...

I also like a good FN, but an FN is not a Mauser, its an FN...the FN is not as strong as a good mauser and is not suited for such calibers as the 7STW etc. It is more than fine on the 06, 375, 404, 416 etc.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just curious, do you have any documentation or first hand knowledge of the "suspect metalurgy"? What is your source of information?

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
No first hand experince with failures however more than a few second hand. Here is one. http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB5&Number=769114&PHPSESSID=&fpart=2#Post769114

I've tried in vain to get a copy of that DEVA report. But, I have had one aquaintance whose smith told him of two recent bolt lug failures. I've heard others too.

Then there is my experience with the mis-drilled holes and CD's refusal to fix or replace.

Enough reasons for me to stick with a good milsurp action or one of the real FN commercial variants.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote