Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Chambered for 9.3x62?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted
I hesitated to post this, simply because some might think it insane, while others might consider it a sacrilege, but has anyone barreled an M1 in 9.3 x 62?

Would the operating rod hold up? One might have to load a bit light (as one does with the 06 loads)

Has it been done?

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not insane at all; and it is the port pressure that is important; it would be less than on a commercial 30-06 and maybe less than on M2 ball.
And not sacrilege; there are only a very small percentage of M1s that are truly collectable; by far most are mismatched rebuilds.
Even when they are converted to 308, there is not enough port pressure to make them work; the gas port has to opened up. It is not chamber pressure that is important.
But that is not the most critical thing;
Check the OD of the muzzle at the gas cylinder splines. .517. That leaves .075 barrel wall thickness. I would go for it.
I recall someone here making them in 35 Whelen? Can't remember.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This place does conventions to 35 Whelen.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/m1-garand/

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure, Tom, but that you'd probably done a Whelen or a 9.3 conversion.

I got to thinking about this after loading some 270, some 9.3x62 and while loading 06 for the M1.
All the folks who want a 10 lb rifle to mitigate recoil- well, the M1 is 10lb fully loaded. And 9.3x62mm should fit an enbloc clip, should feed easily and the bolt face needs no modification. So you've got a rifle capable of taking most game and 8 shots to boot..

I'll probably never do it, but the occasional goofy idea passes through my brain.....

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better to buy a Browning BAR Longtrack in 9.3*62.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Now I want to make one....
I have made Remington 7400s in 9.3; too easy.
Browning? No.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote