Find
Notify
Tools

Installing a Metal Grip cap
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Need some suggestions. I have a nice stock that has a cheap plastic grip cap with a white spacer. I want to replace it with a metal cap. BUT I don't want to refinsh the stock. Any suggestions on how to get it to fit? Only thing I've come up with is tape the stock and be real carefull with the file. It won't be smooth but should be better than the plastic.

Thoughts?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Super difficult.

If you are experienced in doing it, you could get away with a spot refinish at the end.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
rr340

If it were me fitting a cap under these conditions I would first paint the back of the cap with Dykem. Let dry and install. Next I would take a scribe or as I like to use, a # 11 X-acto blade and scribe the outline of the grip on the cap. Remove the cap and cut to the line with what ever tools you have. Finish and reinstall.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would first paint the back of the cap with Dykem

I'm a little slow tonight what is dykem?

Sounds like a better plan than mine.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I'm a little slow tonight what is dykem?

Machinists dye.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,

James' idea might be ok but you need to get a grip cap larger than your original and cut it down to fit. You should first measure your cap(with a caliper if you have one) then see if any of those sold at Brownells or Midway are the same dimension. That should get you close but the radiuses might still be off a bit.

You haven't mentioned what type finish you stock currently has. A flat oil based finished can be worked on and refinished much more easily than a high gloss type.

Best of luck,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had always assumed to get larger and file down. Just backwards of normal installation.

Well assuming the basic shape is OK The next larger size will require .025" taken off the front and back and .006 on each side.

The finish is an oil but not that flat.

Not sure there is enough room to scrib on .006". If I mess it up then it will be time for a finish rework.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K