Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping to a C&R liscense
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
ConfusedIs it legal to ship my 60 year old Mauser action to a C&R liscense holder in Nebraska? Previously I could receive C&R rifles and actions on my C&R liscense in California but it ain't the case now as I understand it. shocker
Nothing but the facts men. CRYBABYroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the action was ever part of a military gun it is not C&R eligible. Foreign military arms must be in full military configuration to be C&R eligible.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Q: What modifications can be made on C&R firearms without changing their C&R classification?

The definition for curio or relic (“C & R”) firearms found in 27 CFR § 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However, ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a C&R item. Combining this ruling and the definition of C&R firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon.

It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable-for example, replacing a cracked M1 Grand stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.
Military Firearms are OK. Actions are not complete Firearms and are NOT OK.

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does ATF Ruling 85-10 which discusses the "importation" of military C&R firearms pertain to the transfer of C&R firearms within the United States among C&R liscense holders?
Not trying to start a pissing match just trying to get it clear.
Thanks.
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedIs it legal to ship my 60 year old Mauser action to a C&R liscense holder in Nebraska? Previously I could receive C&R rifles and actions on my C&R liscense in California but it ain't the case now as I understand it. shocker
Nothing but the facts men. CRYBABYroger

If it's just an action - no go. Complete rifle unmolestedand C&R eligible - carry on. Do it and done it several times both directions with my C&R.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
SmilerThanks guys! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote