New
Find
Notify
Tools

new goof (at least for me)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was merrily on my way to bedding a rifle into a boyds stock for a gift to my dad when I found a small problem (no I didn't glue it into the stock). I must have had a little bedding compound (JB weld) on my hand and touched a section of barrel that did not get waxed. Now I have a nice JB weld impression of my left thumb on the barrel. Of course it hardened about two weeks before I saw it. The rifle has a rich deep blue and I dont know how to get the bedding off without damaging the bluing. I tested the underside of the barrel with a plastic knife, razor blade, steel wool and synthetic steel wool but all were unsatisfactory. I even tried freezing the barrel to make the JB brittle but it didnt work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try calling the manufacturer of JB Weld and see if they can help. Sorry I can't think of anything except maybe trying some acetone. Paul.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had pretty good luck removing dried acraglass or heavy rust from barrels and actions by scraping it off with the open end of a brass cartridge case. Put some oil down first to help remove brass residue. Also, be careful initially. I did scratch a steel scope tube doing this once, but I imagine the tube was softer than the average rifle barrel. Its not necessary to press downward much, but you may need to push the case with your thumb to remove epoxy. After you have used the case a bit, it will develop a sharp edge and will work even better. - John

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try using methylethylkeytone (MEK). It is safe for metal but will dissolve plastics (that is what epoxy is). We used it in the Air Force to remove epoxy sealant around rivets in aircraft fuel tanks. Be careful and do it outside as this stuff is very volitile. Should be available at the hardware store.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, tried brake cleaner but no MEK, Ill give that a shot along with the brass case and post the results.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some heat applied judiciously may help also.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Genty appplying heat will soften the epoxy so it can be removed easily. I'd be real careful with the brass as it can leave marks that can't be removed. You won't need a blow torch, but a propane torch held far enough away to just heat the barrel so it is hot to the touch, not so hot you can't touch it. Then use a piece of wood to scrape it off. Clean the area with WD40 to remove any traces left over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MEK is new to me, sounds interesting.

I routinely use the torch and a brass bristled brush to remove JB Weld from receivers that have had the scope bases epoxied, on purpose! It has always worked fine for me without marring. If a piece of wood (popsicle stick) will work, fine too.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the heat did it, used a heat gun turned to 800 degrees and heated for about 30 seconds, scraped right off with a popcicle stick and no damage to the bluing. The MEK did nothing to the JB and I did not try the brass case. Once again thanks for the help and I have added another note in my book of mistakes made and how to correct them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A chlorinated solvent like zip strip softens epoxy like accra glass. I know this because I used paint stripper to remove the finish from a stock I had bedded with accra glass.

Just for reference since you already got it done with heat.

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bit of heat and some 0000 steel wool. Epoxy softens with heat. Gently apply a propane torch to it and wipe it off. Won't bugger up the bluing either. Just enough heat to soften the epoxy. No more.

Posts: 113 | Location: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With Quote