New
Find
Notify
Tools

finish question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
in the 60s i bought as a high school kid a new colt frontier scout .22 LR sa revolver with the .22 mag cylinder too. for years it shot rabbits and imaginary outlaws in the west tx desert. around the early 70s i bought a DIY gunsmith book that explained how to case harden at home using cow bones crushed up and a heat source etc etc. had the bluing buffed off and forgot about it. also has a set of custom wood grips made by gunsmith fernie esparzaga (sp) when he worked at Cooks Sporting Goods in el paso at Bassett Center. the mag cylinder is in the gun. have to hunt up the LR one. the bbl has minor pitting on outside. mag is still in the blue. trigger is gold plated. have no idea why. even have my old fast draw holster from the 60s too. ANYWAYS....i want to have it refinished to preserve it. have no idea of value. would like to have it case hardened but bluing would work too. any suggestions??

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The frame of the Colt Frontier Scout is not made of steel, but of some alloy. I doubt very much if it can be case hardened the way a steel frame can be. Al blue Frontier Scouts usually run in the $300 to $400 range these days, depending on condition. The original Frontier Scouts had an unblued "in the white" frame and it sounds like your has that appearance now. Many folks prefer that look...

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, that fits. the frame is shiny aluminum looking. i guess a bbl reblue is the way to go then. thanks

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote