New
Find
Notify
Tools

springfield dimensions
 Login/Join

<k wood>
posted
Would someone pass along the dimension and TPI of a springfield barell thread? Also does anyone know where to get an extractor and the bolt release lever on the side for the same? thanks in advance

<Scott H>
posted
Hi,
The Springfield has:
Shank length = 0.734"
Barrel shoulder = 1.145" diameter.
Barrel thread = 1.040" 10 TPI (square thread)
The minor diameter of barrel and thread root = 0.990"
The Springfield also has a cone breech 41 degrees from the plane of the breech end. (49 degrees from bore centerline)
It has a slot cut for the extractor which is 0.410" wide.

These diminsions came from "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank de Haas. He doesn't say how wide the threading tool should be, nor how deep the extractor slot should be cut. For this a pulled barrel would be a handy exemplar.

Scott

<MC>
posted
K Wood

Thread width for a square thread is 1/2 thread pitch. 10 TPI=1/10=.100 .100/2=.050 width of the thread. The cutter would be ground to .050 width the depth should also be 1/2 the pitch or .050 inches.

If you have not cut square threads before practice a bit on some scrap material they can be a bugger to cut as the process is diferent from V threads and there is little room for error.
MC

<k wood>
posted
Thanks for the info. I haven't cut square threads, I have cut acme threads though. I'll definitly cut a practice thread first.
Thanks again