Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SKS questions
 Login/Join

posted
I just bought a Yugo SKS with the accessories. First question is, what is the cord that comes in the ammo pouch. I first thought it was a pull through for cleaning, but it doesn't have any ends to attach the cleaning brush or jag. Second question, has anyone shot the Russian Silver Bear ammo through their Yugo SKS? I shot my SKS for the first time yesterday and the gun wouldn't cycle rounds. I had a lot of empties stuck in the chamber and a lot of stove pipes. I checked the gas port and it was set for ammo not the launcher so that's not the problem. I've shot a lot of SKSs before and all of them worked flawless. I'm a bit disappointed that my gun is a dud!! Thanks for the info.

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2003Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Welcome Malcolm47,

Sounds like you stumbled on what the cord is for. Tie it around the bolt handle to help pull the bolt back far enough to eject and feed the next round, or, maybe it has a rope starter. Just kidding...
[Big Grin]

Actually I don't know what the cord is for and I'm not familiar with that particular type of ammo either. I can only offer suggestions pertaining to the "failure to cycle" problem. A weapon such as the SKS fails to cycle because of weak pressure being exerted upon the bolt by the gas piston. This can be caused by a plugged gas port, an opening in the "gas track" causing gas to excape into thin air, a sticky or damaged gas piston, or, too light of a load.

Check the gun over to make sure that the "gas track" is clean and sound, and that the piston is undamaged and moved freely. Then try different ammunition.

A clean and properly maintained weapon, loaded with clean, quality ammo, will function when needed...

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
The yugo seems to be prone to gas leakage due to the gas cuttoff switch. I've heard some people made seals out of soda cans.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ref: the cord. Is that ammo packed in bandalors? If so, it could be that it is intended to hold the bandalors tight to your body (just like the safety pin on a Garand bandalor).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote