New
Find
Notify
Tools

another model 70 problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got back my Model 70 Laminate 300 WSM from the gunsmith this weekend. He did a trigger job and pillar bedded the gun. I asked him why could I not chamber a fired empty case with out it jamming tight and requireing a cleaning rod to knock it out. ( I had fired 4 factory rounds before sending it to him just to check feeding and firing) He said they cut the extractor cut too deep and failed to break the edge on the chamber, cases have a bulge now and even after full length sixing WILL NOT CHAMBER. The brass gets a curl about 1/2 inch from the base and jams tight. Short of rebarreling at my expense, what now? Does anyone have any experience getting Winchester to fix such things? Whats the best way to tell them about it phone or mail?

Posts: 1490 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
I would give them a call. A reputable factory should take care of a factory defect.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'm a little confused here, was the gunsmith aware of this problem before he pillar bedded the gun?

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KevinNY,

I would call Winchester direct. Sounds to me you got a lemon. I got 2 Model 70 300 WSM's and my friend has one, and I can't say we've encountered any problems you're having. I don't even have feeding problems that some people claim. Good luck on getting the gun fixed.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Winchester said send it back, so back it goes. Now I hope they are fixing mine rather than sending a new one since I've got 200 bucks into pillar bedding and trigger job.

Posts: 1490 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote