Find
Notify
Tools

Engraving or Marking
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted
How are you guys stamping, engraving, or marking rifle barrels with caliber or other information after a rebarrel.

My ATF rep is telling me that I need to but I have heard others say it is not required. I will always error on the side of what ATF tells me. SO please don't make this argument about whether I need to or not. I am just looking for info on how you are applying it, if you do. Thanks in advance

I have looked at laser engravers and they are bit to pricey and take up space in the shop. But just not sure if there is a better way. I also realize it does not have to be visible when its in the stock so I can mark under the barrel.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use hand stamps under the stock line, but they generally look bad. I use a New Hermes engraver with a diamond point to do mine.

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clemson:
You can use hand stamps under the stock line, but they generally look bad. I use a New Hermes engraver with a diamond point to do mine.

Yep. Me too.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Typical example for New Hermes:

Engraving by jakefromclemson, on Flickr

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New Hermes here too.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the new Hermes.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use a New Hermes, motor driven, (although the manual stylus dragging type work too; I just like deep engraving) and I have 6 sets of fonts for it. Ebay is full of them because all the jewelry shops went out of business, or bought CNC mill or laser engravers.
There are about 50 types of New Hermes, (I don't know why but they did make lots of machine types) and those sell for $3-500, and the fonts sell for $150, more or less.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone recommend one type as better than others for barrel engraving?

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My $0.02.

I had to deal with this question, as the customer, not a gunsmith, on a restoration project just the other day.

No roll stamps were available to replicate the factory markings, which had been faded by some sorry buffing and polishing, undertaken in the distant past by a previous artiste.

So, after consultation, we went with laser engraving.

It was amazingly good.

My gunsmith did not do it himself. He sent the gun to a third-party laser engraver.

Even with shipping back and forth, the cost of which, of course, I gladly paid, the price was a shade over $300.

Money well spent, IMHO.

The engraving came out perfect.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
None is "better"; Any choice or recommendation is based on how much you want to spend on a few characters of type. Laser, which is computer driven, can literally do anything, for a price. The Hew Hermes we are talking about, either the powered ones, or the dragged stylus kind, can only do whatever fonts you have for it. It's a matter of $.
A third option is to have it hand engraved.
If you want the absolute cheapest way, buy a Harbor Freight set of stamps and hit them with a hammer. Looks like crap, but performs the same function for almost zero investment.
You can also acid etch barrels; look it up on you tube.
You can also hand engrave it with a Dremel; again, it will suck in the looks department, but is free.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been hand stamping barrels for over forty-five years. I stamp them straight and evenly spaced and I think it looks OK. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3782 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was asking about the different types of New Hermes.

(You can't fix stupid)
Falls of Rough Ky University
Our victory cry is FORK U!

Posts: 218 | Location: Falls of Rough, KY | Registered: 29 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the information. Thanks alot. I found the electrochemical engravers online and from I can gather it etches up to about 3 to 5 thousandths deepvwhich is plenty deep. Wouldn't rub off over time unless something hit it abrasive. Anyone have any experience with these type engravers. Looks like knife makers use these alot for their logo etc

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hand engraving for a top notch custom is usually the way to go. I also use a Cronite Engraving Machine...it's acid etching and comes pretty close to hand engraving in appearance.

Master engravers Bob Swaertley and Terry Wallace both use the Cronite machine

Stamping takes practice to get letters same depth (an "I" take less of a whack than a "B") The old trick with spacing is to start at the last letter (for a right handed person)

Posts: 3631 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the electro-chemical system made by Marking Methods Company out of California. I make my own stencils and the results are very good. My customers always comment on my 'hand engraving'. It is very quick and easy to do.

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Stone:
I have been using the electro-chemical system made by Marking Methods Company out of California. I make my own stencils and the results are very good. My customers always comment on my 'hand engraving'. It is very quick and easy to do.

I am definitely leaning this direction. My engraving skills suck for lack of a better word. My dad can engrave pretty good but the electro chemical method looks nice is fairly easy and would be consistent.