New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 extraction / ejection issue
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I used a left hand stainless 700 action for a 280 AI build recently, and I am getting some inconsistent extraction / ejection. Sometimes if the bolt is cycled really fast the case will hit the bottom of the scope. Other times the case seems to do a 180 degree turn, making contact with the back of the action.

Is the extractor out of place, causing the extractor to hold onto the case too long?

Any other ideas?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could be the ejector plunger is stuck or rusted.

I would soak it push it in and out a bunch and see what happens.

If that does not work remove it clean the plunger, spring and hole.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s a brand new action. I’ve worked the plunger some and it seems fine.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If the brass clears the ejection port, what is the problem you are trying to fix? You can steer the direction of the ejection pattern by carefully altering the angle of the ejector face. I might also stone the extractor hook but on a Remington that is not for the timid.
However, flipping 180 degrees is part of the process sometimes.
Also, your AI case has altered the tension placed on the ejector, from a more tapered case.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
If the brass clears the ejection port, what is the problem you are trying to fix? You can steer the direction of the ejection pattern by carefully altering the angle of the ejector face. I might also stone the extractor hook but on a Remington that is not for the timid.
However, flipping 180 degrees is part of the process sometimes.
Also, your AI case has altered the tension placed on the ejector, from a more tapered case.

Really just the annoyance of the brass making contact with the action or the scope. Maybe that’s not worth worrying about but seems like it could be fixed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
New, or now NOS, Remington's are no guarantee of being corrosion free. I've had to remove many corroded ejectors in virtually new guns. Also, does your rear scope base extend over the rear of the ejection port? Large scope turrets can also deflect ejecting brass.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote