New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adams And Bennet Barrels
 Login/Join

<jim k>
posted
Can anyone tell me about the A&B barrels. Are they any good for hunting. [Confused]

<MontanaMarine>
posted
I bought a F54 .308 bore that I had chambered for .308Win and put on a Model 70 pushfeed. It grouped consistently around 1 moa. I would call that plenty good for hunting.

MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on a M98 in 35 Whelen it does moa, and I haven't worked up loads yet.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have one in every caliber they make for Savage 110 bolt action. They're not Shilen select match grade, but they'll do OK for big game.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A&B are definitely a low end economy barrel. But I have one that puts 3 shots touching.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above posters. I have two rifles with their barrels and both group around an inch (+/-). For the price they ain't all that bad. Search the forun and you will find opinions on them ranging from garbage to great. FWIW, mine work fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Have 3
22-250 With the right load 3 touch
.308 A little more finicky but the right load the holes will touh.
A-rechambered 35whelen to .358X .404 .yields 1 1/2 " to 2" no mater what u load and shoot. roger [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
<jim k>
posted
Thanks all.I'm on a tite budget and want to build a 300WSM. Gotta fudge wehere I can.
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are on a budget then go to WalMart and buy one of the Model 70 Black Shadow or Super Shadow or whatever they call them for under 400 bucks.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
Not bad advise, buying a WallyWorld rifle in 300 WSM if you don't want to spend much $$. But what's the fun in that! If you build a hunting rifle and use a A&B barrel, you will not be dissatisfied. I have one in 223 Ackley and although it is a sporter weight barrel, it shoots into the .5s all day long.
What action are you going to use?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Be warned, the A&B barrels are not "standard" profiles. I believe that they quit making the 300WSM barrel in their standard hunting contour (F34) because the chamber walls were dangerously thin.

I have one in 257 Rob and am very pleased with the accuracy. The screwball F34 contour is a pain both in inletting and using a barrel vise.

Best regards,

Dan M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a A&B in .35 Whelen. Cost $89 several years ago, and is adequate.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no complaint about A&B barrels for the size of the groups they get.

My complaint is how many shot I get before copper fouling and how long it takes to get the bore clean.

I have chambered a couple rifles with marks in the bore lining up with ones in the grooves about every .050" down the bore. I think the button chattered. It acts like a file for taking copper off the bullet.

One rifle get 4 shots and the other gets 10 shots before 1/2 hour of cleaning is needed.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<jim k>
posted
RVB. I have a CZ 500 intermidate(sp) that I'm going to use.I can get a douglas molly chrome for $120 but wanted to go ss.A&B is $155 fluted.My action has already been squared,lugs lapped,and all I need to do is put the barrel and stock. Thanks again guys.
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put one on a free mauser action I was given. It is in 243 win. The barrel will do .375 5 shot groups I have shot a 1.5 in group at 400 yards. It has to be cleaned every 40 rounds or the groups start openning up to around 2 inchs. It is all most like clock work hit the 40 round mark clean the barrel shoots great. I use it as a specialized Pdog and yote gun gets to dirty to fast for general pdog shooting.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote