Find
Notify
Tools

removal of new Win 1886 tang safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings all:
I'm new to this website and have my first question for you folks. Is it possible for a qualified gunsmith to remove that blasted ugly tang safety and put in a half cock one? If so, maybe you can recommend someone that does such work. Yes, I know the reason why it is there. At least with the half cock notch the hammer will fall all the way like it was supposed to and go "boom" every time. Thanks, Kaschi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was an artical in rifle magazine by Dave Scovill on a procedure that alters the tang saftey so that the re-bound does not work hence giving it more striking energy to the primer. I have had this operation done to my 1886 which was converted to 50-110 by Bob De'Vries (Aussie Smith). Saftey can now not be accidently moved on when hammer is cocked fully back either. Itwas a simple procedure but appernetly more neceesary with rifles converted from 45/70 to 50-110.

The issue was "Rifle 210"

Hope this helps.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply PC. I read that article but don't quite get the drift. Does this alteration allow the tang safety to be used or does it do away with it altogether? Is there a half cock or not? I noticed that no one offered a name of a smith here in the US who could remove it altogether. Sue happy society over here, you know. Kaschi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safety can still be used while rifle is not cocked when it's cocked it cant be accidently moved to safe. It does have a small half cock notch now, but once the rebound is removed it's really designed just to ensure the hammer sits a couple of mm of the pin. I had a smith do mine as I am pretty gunsmith ignorant.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote