New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Enfield No 4, Mk I sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son bought a Lee Enfield No 4, Mk I at a gunshow recently and wants to hunt deer with it. (He has every manner of scoped, some custom, modern hunting firearms to hunt with, but last season he hunted all season with an unaltered $60 Nagant -- go figure!)

I took it to the range and found out two things: 1) -- it shoots tight groups with Prizi Partizan 180-grain ammo, and; 2) -- It groups 12 inches high at 100 yards with the flip-up combat sights it came with. This makes it unaccepable for Georgia deer hunting.

So, what are my sight alternatives to replace the two-appature combat sight it came with? (I read that there is a ladder-type appature sight available, but even it may not go low enough to allow a 100 yard zero.) Also, does anyone have any experience with the API no-gunsmithing scope mount I've seen advertised for the No. 4?

Any other suggestions?

I would have asked this question on the modern military rifle forum, but it seems to be all semis, all the time.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the N0 4 MK 2 came with an adjustable ladder on the rear but I don't know if that would go low enough with a stock front. The easiest solution is to replace the front sight with a taller one or solder material onto the existing one and file it down at the range.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Elevation is adjusted with the front sight. You may have to have someone build it up then setting is a matter of filing it down at the range. Take a spare one in case you go too far the first time. You should be able to calculate how high the sight needs to be and get it right in the workshop. Windage is also adjusted on the front sight but that only requires unlocking the sight and moving it sideways. With the aid of a clamp on laser, no range work would be required at all.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
My No.4 does the same thing. A tall front sight will fix it.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought this 5 pcs. set of front sight blades on ebay to regulate my handloads.

Lee Enfield No4 Front Sight Assortment, 5 sizes, SMLE

Jim

Posts: 119 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote