Find
Notify
Tools

Re: It's starting to look like a rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Forrest,

Keep me posted on the stock. I plan to get started soon on my 404 Jeffrey project (on a 1909 Argentine DWM action). I also plan on using the Blackburn magazine box.

Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
My eyes are morphing from blue to an emerald green. LOL

I know you will enjoy the hell out of that pair.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
And since I have the good fortune to see some of Duane's projects as they progress , and I love torturing Forrest with tempting tid-bits about his rifles , I will tell you that the pictures do not do them justice. They are spectacular already, and Forrest will be delighted I am sure. By the way, Duane issues me a drool cup, and ties my hands behind my back when I am in his shop so that I won't desecrate his lovely creations.

Now, I can hardly wait until he gets going on my Model 95 Winchester lever action.

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Nice, but it would be embarassing to be caught out in the woods or on the game fields with these unless they had a little metal scratching by Scrollcutter or somebody else of his caliber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congratulations!

HUNTR

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles, Forrest! Congratulations and good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
While I did enjoy the progress photos of that rifle my attention was directed to something else. His workbench, when I get very busy on my workbench I often leave tools cluttered everywhere and get pissed at myself in the process for feeling so cluttered. But now I think this must be a natural progression for stockmakers. If the Pros do it, then it can't be so bad if I do it. That really makes my day, now if I could convince my dad of this that would be great. He saw my workbench last weekend and about shit as he couldnt believe how messy I am.

-Mike

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Messy????? You have no idea what messy is. Duane's bench looks neat and orderly to me. I spent 10 hours yesterday in my shop, 3 of those getting things done and 7 finding what I was doing and the tools.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'm having Duane Wiebe build a pair of Mausers in 300 and 375 H&H. Here's a work-in-progress picture I received today showing the 375. I just love seeing these projects take shape, and I thought you guys might like it as well.

He's not allowed to have his knee surgery done until these rifles are finished! Also, his shop looks like a fire hazard.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

They look great.

Where did you get the wood for the stocks and did Duane do the shaping or did you have it done somewhere else?

I'm asking because I have a 1909 Argentine action that I am planning to turn into a 404 Jeffrey. I would like a stock just like the one shown in your pictures.

Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The stocks look like they are from the great american stock co in Ca.?

Posts: 13 | Location: fairbanks alaska | Registered: 08 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

That rifle looks fantastic! I like the caliber combo you are going with as well.
Please be sure to post more photos as you receive them....!

So what hunts you are lining up to break in those beauties? After all you've gotta
take them for a test drive w/in 90 days of delivery.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
Are they "magnum-length" actions, or is Duane modifying standard 98's? Very cool-looking rifle. Do they have matching stock blanks? Seriously, I have been considering building a pair in those chamberings using Pre-war M70's.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
Nice looking rifles. And I was going to say how neat his work bench looks. It is a dream next to mine.

Lynnlivengood, GAG could be so lucky to have any patterns of this caliber. I believe that Duane does all of his from a blank, Forrest?

Good pair of calibers BTW. Well back to #$%%^& checkering.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The stocks look like they are from the great american stock co in Ca.?

Ouch! Lynn, that hurts!

Shumba, Duane is shaping the stocks from the blanks. I purchased the blanks from Steve Heilmann at the ACGG show last year. The blanks are as close to matching as I could find.

David and Glen, I do think the calibers make a terrific combination as well. I've become a big fan of the 416's for dangerous game, but I'll find an opportunity to get this 375 to Africa one day. I recently got back from Tanzania, so I'm not even allowed to mention safari plans at home for a while (but that doesn't stop my behind-the-scenes scheming).

This pair started out as started out as standard length Chileans. Duane single square-bridged the actions and opened them up. In the picture, the rifle is still wearing the original safety, but that will be replaced with a 3-position safety.

Usually, Duane will do all the metalsmithing as well. This time though, I bought two swamp-tapered octagonal barrels from Martini & Hagn. They have an integral-quarter rib, and a low full-length rib.

Duane doesn't like machine turned blanks, but I'm going to have the 300 blank patterned to provide another stock for a rifle I'm putting together on a budget. If any of you would like a Wiebe patterned stock to fit a standard 98 with long-magnum drop-belly Blackburn bottom metal, let me know. We might arrange to do a few stocks at the same time. Vest or Simillion will be doing the turning.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote