New
Find
Notify
Tools

Profiling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is SOP at Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion airport. It works well.

I have a new #18 Krieger Varmint barrel, and a Sako Varmint rifle that needs a new barrel. It has an odd size; 1.040" diameter at the front of the receiver, and .866" at the muzzle down 24" from the start, in a straight taper.

#18: 1.250" diameter at breech end, 5" straight shot, and then a straight taper to .872" at 29"

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who can recontour the Krieger to match the Sako's rifle barrel? Krieger and Bartlein both quoted me 8 month waiting times, and Lester Bruno had the Krieger on sale for $315.00.

Many thanks for any help.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is SOP at Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion airport. It works well.

Can't help you with the barrels. Just flew last week. Both wife and I are Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check. I asked "laptop out? Shoes off? Belt?" Had my boot laces inside my boots, ready to take them off if needed. All signaling (IF they were profiling) that I am a frequent flyer and know the routine.

Nope. Wife thankfully didn't get the extra good deal, but I go tagged right behind her for the "enhanced screening" through the whole body scanner. Like I don't get enough full body X-rays every time I fly, I get an additional.

Security theater. And I hate theater.

But, if you are going to get an extra pat-down, I highly recommend any airport in Japan. The security girls do an excellent and pleasant job.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another night owl has volunteered to profile the barrel, Hallelujah.

The only thing that works is profiling. You are correct, it is all theater. I get the full meal deal each and every time I fly, so maybe there is some profiling going on. I haven't worn boxers or jockeys since the last day of jump school. When I pull out my belt, my trousers head straight for my ankles. About then I let go with a yawn, and a real intense stretch. For the theater.

TSA = Thousands Standing Around.

Never take golf shoes in any type of luggage. Golf courses are constantly fertilized. The nitrogen in the fertilizer always sets off the "sniffer" machine. Better yet, put your golf shoes in your buddies luggage, or sneak some granules into the cuffs of his business suit trousers.

It would almost be worth the flight to Japan to get that pat down. I wonder if they "work" after their shift. Gives me pause to think about that...

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
In came back through IAD once and my bag got tagged twice by the sniffer. Lady shook her head and said, "This thang always be acting up." And sent me on my way. What she didn't know is that the day before I had used the bag to carry ammo around while we shot skeet. They bag was literally at my feet getting dusted with GSR for most of the day. I was none too impressed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd ask DPCD if he has time to do it.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the complete barrel need profiling or just the shank end to match up with the receiver?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the whole barrel needs to be turned a bit with most of the material to come off the breech end. Since it is a straight taper, it will be a fairly simple matter.
Wife is frequently profiled by TSA. Apparently, the caucasian grandmother type is considered to be a significant threat. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Wife is frequently profiled by TSA. Apparently, the caucasian grandmother type is considered to be a significant threat. Regards, Bill

Naw, they look at both your CPIC and CISIS files and see your string of black marks and figure you're connected to something REALLY BAD and she must be the ring leader because her record is so squeaky clean Billy. LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the complete barrel need profiling or just the shank end to match up with the receiver?

Jim

Hi Jim,
It all needs to be profiles in a straight taper. The original barrel starts skinny, and does not shed much diameter all the way out; 1.040" at the breech, and .866" at the muzzle. It is on one of those oddball 6PPC single shot varmint/match rifles from the late eighties.

I have a victim to do this barrel. Later in the year, I might have you put a 9.3x62 barrel on that old Sako AV from ten years ago, IF you will put witness marks on the barrel and receiver. Cool

posted Hide Post
When I decided to have a Douglas barrel recontoured I sent it to Douglas. $65 plus shipping/insurance. I believe I'd check with Kreiger about this service.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ha! Double the charge and quintuple the wait time for any work out of Krieger. They charge $150.00 to put in 1/2"-28tpi threads that have been standardized for twenty years.

I like what Douglas charges, and their turnaround time/work ethic. Generally I have good luck with skilled craftsmen charging a fair price.