New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Pictures/Ideas Please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m in the final phases of a project that has been in the daydreaming phase for a couple of decades, but which has made measurable progress over the last 9 years and I’d like to ask for your help.

In broad strokes I began with a JC Higgins 30-08 that my father bought new around 1956. This gun has always meant a lot to me we have shared many hours a field together and bagged too many animals to count. Unfortunately my dad was okay with me, as a kid, trying my hand at stock refinishing…several times as I remember, and while the old girl remained a shooter, she wasn’t much to look at by the time I was done.

In 2005 I bought a chunk of Koa that had been harvested near one of my old hunting areas on the Big Island of Hawaii. That piece of wood currently resides in a garage belonging to AR member ramrod340 awaiting instructions.

A little while back I sent my rifle along with a barrel blank to another AR member, z1r, who has fashioned that blank into a medium weight, 24 inch barrel chambered in 260 Remington. He also worked hard on my Mauser long action to ensure smooth feeding of the short action cartridge.

Over the years I’ve had various ideas on what I wanted this stock to look like in its finished state. I’ve collected pictures of a couple of special features that I wanted to incorporate into my stock; particularly a Schnabel forend and a rounded grip. Along the way I handily managed to end up in a wheelchair thanks to a disagreement I had my dirt bike. So now I have a couple of features that I need rather than want; namely a shorter length of pull and a raised cheek piece. The latter two features I’ve found necessary as my shooting style has evolved.

I’d like to see pictures or hear ideas about completed works that incorporate as many these features as possible. As projects and stocks go this one isn’t much compared to the beautiful work I’ve seen on this site; but since this is where I’ve seen some of the most beautiful work I figured it be a good place to ask for ideas. Thanks in advance for any light you are able to shed on my project.

Classic sporter, open pistol grip.
Monte Carlo or raised cheek piece w/o a lot of drop at toe.
Schnable forend tip.
Rounded pistol grip.
Short LOP.

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
That piece of wood currently resides in a garage belonging to AR member ramrod340 awaiting instructions.

That would be basement. Wink

Got the Schnable & open grip covered. Probably just me but I don't place Schnable with Monte Carlo. LOP not really an issue. How high do you need the cheek piece?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i built a stock a while back of koa - it worked fine but weighed a ton

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I couldn't agree with you more about the Monte Carlo upsetting the lines of the stock. I may place aesthetics above function and use a beanbag or something for the extra height. With regards to "how high"; I won't know exactly until I finish mocking up the original stock with bondo. I'm going to mount my scope and take my time getting the fit right and then I'll be able to answer that question for both of us.

butchloc, I know koa is heavy, and I hear it's hard on tools as well. It's much better suited to building furniture but my intent is to create something with a little bit of "home" built in.

Posts: 316 | Location: Jackson, Wyoming | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know koa is heavy,

The one I did a couple months ago came in on the light side. Worked great for his daughter.

Can't remember what yours feels like.

What I found was edges wanted to chip so I had to pay attention to the direction of the bit rotation while inletting.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Go Classic; either the dropped heel of the original, or a more modern one with a straight comb like the one above, by all means, forget the Monte Carlo thing. I have hated them since I saw my first one in 1959. Although I do admit to owning a few.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I know it is your rifle. I also no you have some special issues. But, Wink Maybe consider a simply classic style. Maybe even a M 70 Featherweight with no check piece. Then simply add something like this. http://www.accu-riser.com/cate...ds-and-Comb-Raisers/ when you need it. There are several other options.

Function is needed but it needs to look good back at the house. rotflmo

Second one down is a M70 external M98 internal. The gray is actually Mikes pattern. That would look great with a short LOP and add on riser.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a well shaped Monte Carlo can not only look good but is a practical design feature. The thing is, with most people, the cheekbone is significantly higher than the top of the shoulder. If you want contact between your face and the stock, some accomodation must be made.
Shooting prone, things are a bit different and the cheekbone is about in line with the shoulder so a straight comb can work.
Of course, the line of sight figures into the equation as well.
Now, I like a minimalist approach in many cases and a straight comb of reasonable height fills the bill just fine but I have nothing against a monte carlo comb. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3586 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have nothing against a monte carlo comb

I've seen some Monte Carlos I can live with. Just not my cup of tea. I still think back to my FIRST build and it was about 1974 and it had that MAJOR full rollover cheek piece. With 45deg rosewood tip and white spacer. Eeker

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
always loved this stock, someone talked me out of the rifle. 30/06, muzzle brake, bolt safety.
Monte Carlo with schnable?

Posts: 6443 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Monte Carlo with schnable?

rotflmo I have a hard time calling that a Monte Carlo. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot Monte Carlo stocks; I just don't like to look at them.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I like to shoot Monte Carlo stocks; I just don't like to look at them.

I have to agree with this post ^^^^! Thank you guys for taking the time to share your ideas and pictures. Lots of good stuff here.

I really like the shadow line cheek pieces and I'm coming to understand the straight stock or American classic might be what I need. Sooooo... How about an American classic stock with a Schnabel forend tip? I know Schnabel is old school but would this be a decent blending of 2 great tastes that taste great together?

I use a slip on comb riser on a synthetic stocked 7 mag that I used to reach out and touch at distance. It's a very workable solution for me. Although it's not going to win any beauty contests it's also not a permanent modification.

I get it that the Schnabel is not going to work with what most of us consider a typical Monte Carlo stock. However, have any of you achieved a built in raised comb that blends well with an American classic and its accompanying shadow
cheek piece?

Ramrod, I do agree that Mike's pattern might fit the bill. I've actually held that pattern stock in my hands during a Colorado visit with z1r a year or 2 ago.

Thank you for all your responses, I really appreciate you taking the time.

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i really like a monte carlo - on a blaser nilly 2020 horse Whistling

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about an American classic stock with a Schnabel forend tip?

Look at the current Winchester Featherweight stocks for what that (without cheek piece) looks like, more or less. Pretty straight comb though.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at the current Winchester Featherweight stocks for what that (without cheek piece) looks like, more or less. Pretty straight comb though

Yep that is exactly what that second from the top pattern is. LA M70 simply inletted for a M98

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like schnabel stocks. Here's my favorite, and the pattern its cut from:

The top two are my favorite mauser stocks, the bottom is the best recoil reducing stock I have:

dave

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Some Anschutz rifle stocks have those features, at least the monte carlo cheekpiece and schnabel fore-end.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evan, thank you for the Anschutz photos. It's good to get a look at those 2 features on the same stock.

ssdave, your pictures have definitely got my imagination stirred up. I'll get a hold of you a little bit later. Thanks.

rich, I can see why that one was a favorite; very nice looking.

I've also been staring at pictures of the current Winchester Model 70 featherweight stock. Thank you Charles.

I appreciate everyone's input!