New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bell and Carlson for Ruger 77
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at a B&C stock for a Ruger 300 Win mag (gotta replace the butt ugly skeletonised factory synthetic job) They don't make the medalist stock with aluminum bedding block for the Ruger, I've heard mixed reviews about the carbelite model. Any first hand experience with ridgidity, accuracy issues would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR!

I have some experience wtih the B&C Carbelite stocks. I've installed three: first one I did was about 15 years ago on a Ruger 77 MKII, .300 WM; second one about 3 years ago went on a VZ-24 in .375 Whelen; and a third about 2 years ago went on a Wheatherby MKV in .257 WHBY. This first stock I used from them was heavy but well designed and the forearm was rigid, the last two were lighter but the forearms were not as stiff as I want them--with stock mounted on rifle you can move the forearm back and forth against the barrel with very little effort. I suppose if you bed the barrel the full length of the forearm this may not be an issue, but I prefer to free-float barrels. I have not used the model with the bedding block.

I personally would not use one again. If I'm looking for an inexpensive stock I now use the Ramline as I find them to be much stiffer and very easy to install.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I should consider another option. I was hoping to stay in the B&C price range and not make the jump to HS or McMillan. I guess you get what you pay for. I like some of their finish/camo options, they have a bigger selection than most.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could glass bed three push rods fron car engine into the forarm off the stock, have done this on a H-S stock that seemed a little weak in that area. I stacked they a pyamid then poured the glass to the forearm.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems that Weatherby is using these stocks on some of their rifles. Are they any different than what is offered to the regular consumer? I wouldn't think they would use them if they're no good

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMiller:
It seems that Weatherby is using these stocks on some of their rifles. Are they any different than what is offered to the regular consumer? I wouldn't think they would use them if they're no good

I would second Toomany Tools recommendation. For keeping in the price range, the Ramline is not a bad choice.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The Hogue Overmolded are my favorite in the less-expensive stocks. They come pillar bedded for a little over $100 or with a bedding block like HS Precison for around $250.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too will give a vote for a Ramline stock. I have several rifles using them right now and they are hell for stout. Some of the rifles have relatively stout recoil, starting with a Ruger 77 in .35 Whelen, a Winchester M70 in .338 Win. Mag. and a Ruger 77 chambered to the .375 Taylor. (.338 Win. mag. necked up to .375 caliber.) The stocks have held up beautiflly and about all I did was change the recoil pad to pachmeyr Decelerators and use an expanding foam product to to reduce the "booming" of the hollow stocks. You do have to work quickly with that stuff but it works and does not add much weight to the stock. If you go that route, make sure you mask off a goodly portion of the stock as it expands quite fast. For the barrel section of the stock, I used two thicknesses of plumbers tape to fload the barrel and again masked everything off very thoroughly. The foam dries fairly hard and seems to add to the rigidity of the stock.
Actually, my preference for Mausers is the Butler Creek stock, but I don't know if they make one for the Ruger. Anyway, for the price, the Ramline has been a very good buy for me. So far, I haven't had to do any glass bed work with any of the ramlines I've used while I did with the Butler Creek. McMillans are nice, but the two I have seem to be much heavier than necessary. YMMV. I also have a couple of rifles in early 1980s H&S Precision stock that I bought in 1981, but they were only making stocks for Remington guns back them, Don't know about now. Those needed some glass bedding work.
About all I can add is that Ramline stocks work very well. One of my most accurate sprters is a Winchester M70 Youth Ranger I won if a raffle. The stock was way too short for me so I dropped the gun into a Ramline stock made for teh short action Winchester. Apparently, the two (gun and stock) was a marriage made in gun heaven as the combo is one of teh most accutare set ups I own.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote