Find
Notify
Tools

FN Mauser Scope Bases
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Does Warne or Talley make bases for FN Mausers? Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. WHy not check their website?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I did. They just list bases for large ring Mausers. The bases that Leupold lists specifically for the FN Mauser are different than the ones that they list for the large ring Mauser, so that made me wonder if the ones Talley and Warne list for large ring Mausers would work on an FN.

Mike

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mike, check their hole spacing against yours. Some commercial FNs are drilled differently on the bridge, particularly Sears FNs. Standard is 0.5" on the bridge, 0.875" on the ring if I recall correctly.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I did. They just list bases for large ring Mausers. The bases that Leupold lists specifically for the FN Mauser are different than the ones that they list for the large ring Mauser, so that made me wonder if the ones Talley and Warne list for large ring Mausers would work on an FN.

That because the leupold ones for the 98 use a odd hole pattern, designed to be used without removing the charging hump. The FN's used the standard .500 spacing on the rear, except for some odd ones like fla3006 pointed out.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Forrest, those are the measurements that mine has, .500 on the rear and .875 on the front. I will call Talley and Warne and see which ones they have that fit.

Mike

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have a set of Warne premier bases that are marked M98 "altered". I think "altered" means the rear receiver has been profiled to FN contour. The bases are new and I have some new rings that will go with them. If they work for you, you're welcome to them and you'll love the price.

The back of the package shows FN 98's require #4037 (front) and #4041 (rear). Altered 98's require #4037 front and #4036 rear. I have mounts #4037 and #4036.

#4037 (front) by my measurement has a .850" spacing and #4036 (rear) has a .500 spacing.

Let me know if you want to take a look. I'll either drop them in the mail or we can meet up sometime.

Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Also, the Warne reference chart shows Sears 50-51 take the same #4037 front and #4041 rear, but the Sears 53 takes a #4062 front and a #4061 rear.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

That would be great, although the spacing on the front is .875 on my rifle. The rear is .500. Sure about the .850 measurement?

What are you doing tomorrow at lunch? I have to run out to Dustin Mounts in the Galleria area to pick up my Evans. If you are around, I'll buy your lunch.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike - I have had good luck for tough to fit rifles by calling Talley and talking to the owner. He is very knowledgeable and easy to talk to and knows which of his bases & rings will work with various hard to fit actions.

Posts: 71 | Location: St. Michaels, Maryland | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MJines:
Forrest,

"That would be great, although the spacing on the front is .875 on my rifle. The rear is .500. Sure about the .850 measurement?"

I think maybe that hole spacing on the front is .860.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote