New
Find
Notify
Tools

File sharpening
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought I might mention this for any one that might need files sharpened. Boggs Tool Processing just returned 8 files that I had sharpened and I do believe they are sharper than when they were new.
Great service to which seems to be lacking in some businesses any more.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
$?

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://boggstool.com/file-%26-rasp-services

Damn! Those look like 1965 prices.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom

Eight 6 inch files $20 shipped priority back to me

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eight 6 inch files $20 shipped priority back to me

That's a bargain. I used Boggs too, he did a good job and prompt

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most companies won't open the box for $20.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really liked the work and he is getting all my 10 and 12 inch files. Its a lot cheeper than new ones that is if you can find some that are not made in China. Mine are old Nickolson"s made in the US not the new ones made somewhere else and stamped made in US.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This makes buying ten pounds of 'vintage, but good' files off fleabay an intriguing proposition! They say on their website that Rust isn't a problem. I can't wrap my head around how (reading their process) it works. I have a butt-load of files that skate.

Posts: 160 | Location: Homer, AK | Registered: 11 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they are worth contacting. I bought out a whole section of files at auction from a hardware store going under in the mid 70s so mine are well used. That sounds like a great service.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using them for 40 yrs or more.
They sharpen mill cutters, drills, etc as well.

They sell files and other cutters too.
Check their web site.

Yes, rust is no problem. The file will come back a clean down to the orig surface and a medium grey color as if bead blasted.
The process used is some sort of 'abrasive honing' using steam as I have been lead to understand it.

I did have one rasp that had some teeth still clogged somewhat when returned.
Some kind of hard white substance that I picked out easily & cleanly.
This was a file that was a garage sale buy, the usual rusty, paint splattered mess for 25cents.

Quick turn around too.
2 weeks usually for me includ shipping time USPS Priority Mail.,,and I'm in NYS and they're in Cal.

Even the 'rejects' that come back from them have more cutting life in them than a lot of the off shore junk sold as new these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They sharpen end mills on the face, thereby saving a lot of the diameter for repeat sharpening. Savings add up!

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote