New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Barrel!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm so worked up I can hardly stand it! Ordered a new 1:12 .308 Krieger barrel for my Rem 700 varmint rifle. Of course that means that I committed to having the action trued and the rifle re-bedded as well. This little gun has seen six years of hard use and nearly 4000 rounds, it needs a rebuild and I'm really looking forward to the project.

Big decision was if I should sell it and buy another rifle, which would be a less expensive option, or if I should rebuild and improve the old friend that has gone so many miles with me... Not really much of a question once I set aside enough money. This will be my second rifle with a Krieger barrel, the first is a Model 70 match rifle that is incredibly accurate. Same riflesmith will work over the Remington.

I'll let everyone know how the project turns out when it's done, but that probably won't be until March. Wow... It's finally underway! Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can`t think of anything better than starting a new rifle. Congradulations!! The last 2 I had built, I used Krieger, awesome barrels.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
My rifles have stood by my side ready to defend to the death, settle arguments, or put food on the table. They would have to have been scared by fire before I would part with such a loyal friend...
[Frown]

By the time you acquire a new action and "properly" prep it for the new barrel, you will be in it a lot more than if you were to take your old friend and give it a face lift. I vote that you give your old buddy a new life.
[Smile]

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Iam also rebarelling a rem.700 varmint rifle with a krieger,but it will be with a 1-13 twist.Never had a krieger before-I hope it's super accurate.Gunsmith recommends this twist,says it is most accurate at 1000yds.Barrel will have a palma #15 contour.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the warm replies. I posted shortly after ordering the new barrel and just had to tell someone. This has been a great rifle, and I'm looking forward to it being even better.

Shootaway - My match rifle has a 1:13 Krieger in the Palma contour, it shoots 155's and 168's great. The previous owner told me that it handled 175's real well too, but I haven't tried them yet. I think you'll like your Krieger, I sure do!

Malm - yeah, I couldn't bear to part with this little Rem 700 VS. When I bought it I didn't think I'd ever get sentimental about a synthetic stocked, matte black varmint rifle - but over the years it sorta grew on me. Still doesn't look nice, but it's been a good shooter and has become very trusted in the field. Regards to all, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
I know you guys will give me a hard time for this but I had a stainless Ruger M77MkII in 7.62x39 that wouldn't shoot worth a crap. My smith had a medium varmint wt stainless Kreiger in 6mm that he chambered in 6mm PPC for me. Got it back early this week, installed a Timney, floated the bbl and installed a 6-24X50 Swift in some tall Leupold rings. I know the Ruger is not the best action for an accuracy rig but that's what I had,the smith had the bbl and gave me a good deal. Never any intentions of building a bench rig. Will post tomorrow with results of first range day. Bob