New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ejector Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys, I need some advice w/a Browning X Bolt plunger ejector. The rifle is a .338 WM and has about 100 rds down the tube. The plunger is stuck in the retracted position and isn't interested in popping out.This prob started the other day, but my remedy was to push in and it released, not so today.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 126 | Location: Wilbraham, MA 01095 | Registered: 28 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
How difficult was it to push in? If it popped out the first time you pushed it in, hopefully it won't be too firmly stuck.

There are several things you can try, all with moderation and caution.

1. Play a hair dryer on the bolt but not on the pin. Do NOT get the bolt hot, just a little warmer than it is at normal room temp. Then gently tap the outer diameter of the bolt adjacent to the ejector pin with a rubber or plastic faced hammer. Or,

2. Use a strong magnet to try to pull the ejector pin out from the bolt face. Or,

3. Maybe this should be No. 1....soak that sucker a couple of days in Kroil or some other effective penetrating oil. Sounds like you may have a build up of crud in the ejector pin hole. If you can, wiggle the ejector pin a little back and forth sideways after it has soaked for 48 hours. Or,

4. Try to "stick" a smaller diameter piece of drill rod to the face of the ejector pin, and then pull out on the rod...but don't use something runny to do it with...you don't want anything running into the ejector pin hole between it and the bolt body and then setting up...that could result in having to drill the sucker out, which is a touchy job as the ejector pin is probably as hard as or harder than the bolt surrounding it. Or,

5. Take it to your friendly local gunsmith. He could probably use the work in these lean times anyway.

Whatever you do, once you have the ejector pin forward, you need to remove the even smaller pin holding it in the bolt face, and remove the ejector pin, so you can see what is causing the problem in the first place. (Don't forget the pin is spring loaded, so have it facing some direction such that when it flies out, you can still find it and the spring.

Then correct the cause. No need having to do this stuff twice.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Alberta said most likely some crud binding it up I would use a good oil on it work it back and forth should free it up shortly.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll give Kroil a shot tonight.

Bob

Posts: 126 | Location: Wilbraham, MA 01095 | Registered: 28 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The times that I've had problems with plunger ejectors sticking it's always been because of small brass shavings coming off of the cartridge head. They build up over time, especially if you're running slightly hot loads. Taking it apart and giving it a thorough cleaning should fix it.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
There have been other posts with this very same problem, and as boltman has said most often brass shavings so lubricating usually has no effect. Try knocking bolt nose on wooden or plastic bread board to shock ejector out under inertia. A tip when disassembling spring loaded parts is to tape a clear plastic bag over the work area so that anything flying out or dropping out is contained. You can see what you're doing and can also drive pins out while in the bag.

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Good point on the shavings, as I have noticed them.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's all the way "in" then it's probably up against the cross pin. You could remove the cross pin to get a little more movement and free it up, but it might go flying across the room if you're not ready to catch it somehow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are all under spring pressure so are liable to take off flying any time an ejector is removed.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem rectified this AM.

Luckily,I have a bud who's way better than I w/ tools and who has a really neat workshop. He disassembled the bolt and removed some brass shavings. The plunger is now in the correct position and seems ready to go.

Thanks for all the help.

Best,

Bob