Find
Notify
Tools

D'Arcy Echols Light(er)weight Legend
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted
I was in D'Arcy's shop yesterday and got to have a good look at the first Legend stocked with the new lighter weight McMillan stock. It is a .300 Winchester with a 24" light contour barrel on a pre-64 (yes a real pre-64) action with D'Arcy's 30mm scope mounting system. With a 3.5-10x40 Leica scope and 5 rounds of ammo it weighed 8.5 pounds. D'Arcy said that he had not done any other work on this particular gun to make it any lighter. With 1" rings, a lighter scope, and some additional action work, he thought he could end up closer to 8 pounds all up.

I also spent some time fondeling Allen Day's new .338 Win, which has a 24" barrel, high-end bottom metal, checkered bolt release, brown stock (with red pad) and a 2.5-8 Leupold. Looks like he will have another fine rifle on his hands. thumb

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Chet, I'm glad you like my rifle. I'm coming down to the Echols shop for a visit in May, so maybe I'll have the chance to meet you.

D'Arcy's new lightweight McMillan stock should be a real breakthrough. A lightened 'Legend' in 7mm Rem. Mag. or .300 Win. Mag. that came in at 8 lbs. would be just about the perfect western hunting rifle.

AD

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
Allen,

I think you are right about a lightened Legend. I keep envisioning a Legend in 7mm with a wispy little 23 or 24 inch barrel, a lightened action like the one on my .300 Weatherby, D'Arcy's high end bases and rings and one of these lightweight stocks, all topped off with a little 2.5-8 Leupold scope. I'll bet it could be loaded and ready to go at about 7.75-8 pounds (not too heavy, not too light) and would be a real mountain hunters dream. Well, for those of us that won't shoot anything but a Model 70 anyway.

Let me know when you are coming to Logan.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote