New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Mod 70 factory bottom metal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do some come in steel and others in Aluminum?
Can you tell me which models are which if that is the case.

Thanks,

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe most are aluminum. The Super Grade and customs come with steel. They look totally different, it shouldn't be hard to pick out the steel ones. The Aluminum ones you can see the hinge pin, the steel it is internal.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The magazine floorplates are steel and the trigger guard is aluminum on some of the recent model 70's. I replace the trigger guard with a williams steel one. The current featherweights I have seen at Gander Mountain have the one piece steel bottom metal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to a Winchester 2005 catalog I was perusing all of the new LT III models will have the one piece steel floorplate.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery!
Hit the target, all else is twaddle.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I actually would like a set of aluminum bottom metal for a long action classic. I will call them and see if they still have some.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AaroninUtah:
I believe most are aluminum. The Super Grade and customs come with steel. They look totally different, it shouldn't be hard to pick out the steel ones. The Aluminum ones you can see the hinge pin, the steel it is internal.

Aaron

You are correct about the hinge pin location, as it is recessed below the stockline on the steel one-piece assemblies and the three-piece design has the hinge above stock line.

However, keep in mind that Winchester is now casting the One-Piece system in aluminum, and it too has the hinge pin sitting above the stockline.

We have in stock replacements in steel for these new aluminum bottom metal assemblies that are a drop-in fit. Basically, they copied our design that we supplied them in steel and decided to cheapen things up a bit with the aluminum. I suppose not so good for the manufacturer sales, but I'm not complaining about the aftermarket potential of their decisions. Wink

I would imagine it's what they're peddling on the LT's, but I may be mistaken. Our bottom metal to date has only been used on the Super Grades and custom shop models. However, there was some transition time with getting stocks inletted and no aluminum bottom metal available that ended up getting some featherweights with our trigger guards on them, but that's very rare......maybe only 100 total. Someone on 24hourcampfire ended up with one of all things.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the newer one, but I know that in the past they have been like hard chromed or something.
Meedless to say, I got bitten by one years ago which I had polished up real nice and when I put it in the tanks, it did not blue.

It wasn't aluminum, however, because the salts did not eat it.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are correct about the hinge pin location, as it is recessed below the stockline on the steel one-piece assemblies and the three-piece design has the hinge above stock line.

However, keep in mind that Winchester is now casting the One-Piece system in aluminum, and it too has the hinge pin sitting above the stockline.

We have in stock replacements in steel for these new aluminum bottom metal assemblies that are a drop-in fit. Basically, they copied our design that we supplied them in steel and decided to cheapen things up a bit with the aluminum. I suppose not so good for the manufacturer sales, but I'm not complaining about the aftermarket potential of their decisions.

Matt,
Which of your designs allows the most room in the magazine box? Is there a specific part number I should ask for? Post-64, matte blue, for a 416 Rem Mag.
Thanks,
lawndart
PS I ordered three extractors last week, can't wait Smiler.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shop Cart, that makes me wonder...I just picked up an older SuperGrade that has a machined steel triggerguard but the floorplate is cast steel or something. The "blue" on it is kinda thin and clear and the metal almost looks sparkley through it. Goofy looking effect for a gun.

Anyways, it will be ebay bound as soon as I can replace it with a Williams one-piece.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Triggerguard1's shop is a few blocks from my house. I have seen his work and it is high quality. I wish Winchester would go back to making manufacturing decisions that led to better rifles, not cheaper ones.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!