Find
Notify
Tools

Reading glasses and express sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Question:
I turned 50 last year and had laser surgery to correct nearsightedness and like most people my age I now need reading glasses. I can still use a peep sight fairly well since you look through the rear sight and I can see the front post in focus. Unfortunately rear leaf sights are out of the question since I cannot focus that close without reading glasses and then I cant see the target.

What brought this up was the picture .333_OKH posted of that great rifle at Cabelas with the one fixed and 3 leaf express sight. I couldn't use it (but I'd put it on a gun anyway).

Curious to see how the rest of you deal with it.

Choices:
My eyesight is perfect without glasses.
I wear glasses all the time and it's no problem to use rear leaf sights.
I need reading glasses but can still use rear leaf sights.
I'm in the same boat as you are, need reading glasses and can't use rear leaf sights.
All my guns are scoped.

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall my marksmanship instructor in the Marines asking me a simple question; Are you trying to shoot the target or the sights? If you think about that it does actually make sense, especially at most hunting distances where you would be using open sights rather than a scope.

You would be surprised how much a good, consistent hold can do for aligning open sights on the traget, even if the little suckers are a bit blurry to our older eyes.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Recoil Rob, want to buy a house in Pelham Manor?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Recoil Rob, want to buy a house in Pelham Manor?

Does it have a 100yd. range? Big Grin

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob, I'm turning 50 next week. Longer length of pull doesnt hurt.......kinda like hold the newspaper a little farther away........ Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does it have a 100yd. range?

The one up in Hillsdale, Columbia County does.... and a celler which is devoted to the reloading arts.
Here is a picture from the front yard

And something from the backyard http

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been seeing the backyard stuff for years here in northern Westchester. The front yard critters have been showing up recently and we've had a cow moose in Mahopac all winter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear contact lenses, otherwise I would neeed the assitance of a puppy to leave my front door. So, my rifles are scoped. However, three rifles have aperture peep sights fitted.

You are braver than me. I thought about laser eye surgery correction for short sight but am a total coward.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but the question is appropriate for those who need sight correction and hunt with rifles:

I wonder how people get along hunting far from home - Alaska, Montana, Wyoming etc or Africa and need to wear contact lenses or glasses to see clearly?

How do they manage to shoot - not bump their glasses off, out of place when they shoulder / cheek their rifle to take a quick shot?

And how do they get along with their glasses not slipping due to sweat etc?

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote