New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cut rifled barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for input on makers other than Krieger that make cut rifled barrels, in the US.

Got a couple of projects I am impatient on, and want a cut rifled tube........Krieger is way out there on lead time.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
In the US.

http://www.hsprecision.com/new_barrels.htm
http://www.cutrifle.com/

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan Pedersen's lead time will be longer than Krieger.

Mike Rock, Mark Chanlynn, Border, Morrison Precision, and Bartlein all make fine cut rifled barrels. Bartlein can probably get you one pretty quickly. They are a couple of guys who used to be at Krieger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also: http://www.saternmachining.com/ top notch match grade barrels

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cas II and Fjold, thanks for the info. I'll follow up on some of these folks.

Had bad juju with HS once, they ain't on my list for now!

Regards--Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
10at6, I think I was posting when you made your reply, thanks--I had turned up Satern when doing an Internet search, but I'm looking for a .330 Dakota barrel and it doesn't look like that's in the cards with Satern.

CAS II, I looked at Bartlein's web page, I'll be calling them tomorrow.

Thanks again guys--Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered two Kriegers and they were 12 weeks out. Seems like they always produce on time, shoot great and are worth the wait.

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know Badger Barrels makes cut rifled barrels.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that Jim Bair's(sp?) Half Moon Rifle Shop makes cut rifled barrels.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartlein - new guys in the cut rifled game, apparently the crew includes some old Krieger employees (Frank Green, at least)

Rock Creek Barrels - they can often deliver barrels really quick.

Border Barrels. Based in Scotland, their barrels are also sold in the US. Our UK friends swear by these barrels.

And just for the record...

Gruenig & Elmiger of Switzerland make cut rifled barrels, as does Schultz & Larsen in Denmark.

- mike

P.S. Sorry, I did not see CAS II had already mentioned all my options...

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
K&P in Raton, NM

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Unless time element is super critical, would suggest go with Krieger. Shot matches, long range and XC for many a year and Krieger is a very fine barrel. Have used most others over the years searching for that "holy grail" and always come back to the Krieger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One more:

Obermeyer

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello mho,
Obermeyer is a great barrel, shot one on M14 NM rifle for well over 6000 rounds and held 10 ring accuracy to the very end. Trouble is that I believe he has a military contract that pretty much takes up his production and no time left for the civilian market. I am sure those living close or friends with the man might get one, but scarce.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walther?

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Rusty,
Believe the Lothar Walthar barrels are button type. Metal is formed/deformed by button and not cut/removed as in cut rifle barrel. Hey, both work fine for most applications. My Krieger cut rifled barrels have given me and lots of others excellent results for so many years, just grew accustomed to using them.
I can say I have a 223 bolt gun, 600 yard match/prone rifle with a Douglas SS in 1/7 twist and it is outstanding in all respects. Break in was one 60 round match and after that, solvent cleaning, occasional JB and it is well under .5 moa gun and based on measurements of throat, believe it will outlast me!!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
BTW, My last Krieger took 5 months to the day from ordering to delivery.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought LW was hammer forged. Aren't these the same barrels sold as/by "Blackstar" in the late '90's? They made all kind of snake oil claims about the barrels and talked about them being hammer forged.

I use both cut rifled and button rifled tubes and like both just fine. On top of that, just about all of the top makers have a very long waiting list. You can call them and see if they happen to have what you are looking for in stock. Soemtimes you get lucky and they can ship that day. Not likely, but I had a krieger one day after calling them before. Sometimes you get lucky!!!

Another thing to consider is that most custom gun projects are planned way in advance. THis gives most people plenty of time to order a tube. Of course, when you screw up a chamber on a customer's barrel, then you are up the creek with no paddle! The only barrel I have ruined was on the President of the ACCG's personal rifle. Bad karma!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by driver:
Hello mho,
Obermeyer is a great barrel, shot one on M14 NM rifle for well over 6000 rounds and held 10 ring accuracy to the very end. Trouble is that I believe he has a military contract that pretty much takes up his production and no time left for the civilian market.

I think you are right, at least that is the information in a recent thread in here. Alas, I guess that leaves Obermeyer out of the quetion for this particular barrel, cut or not...
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barney Lawton of Dillon Montana does both cut & button rifle barrels.

Lawton Rifle Barrels

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marc_Stokeld: I thought LW was hammer forged.
The Lothar Walther website says they're buttoned.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Any of you tried Bartlein's Barrels?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in Raton on Memorial Day, K&P was no longer there. I am leaving for the NBRSA Nationals there in the morning and I will ask if they are still alive and in a different location.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for the info. Krieger quoted me 16 weeks (estimate) maybe it's the 338 cal.

MHO, Rock Creek looks interesting, thanks!

I'm willing to wait a little, but I also have to have the smith get his part done..... shouldn't wait so long to start I guess.

Thanks again guys--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike is a buddy of mine, and he cuts a MEAN barrel. IIRC, I have about 8 of his in service on my personal rifles now, with two more on the way.

33's have been relatively easy to get out of Mike recently. I believe that he has been building a lot for 338 Lapua builds.

Tell him the dickhead said Hi. He will know who it is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CAS II, am planning to touch base with Mike on Monday, I'll tell him you said hello.

Take care--Don