New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako accuracy problem
 Login/Join

<MFH>
posted
I have a Sako AVL61 in 338 win that I can't figure out. It is in a mcmillan fibergrain stock, is free floated and is wearing a varix-3 scope. So far, about the best accuracy I have been able to obtain is 1.5" @100yds. Occasional handloads will do better but none consistantly. The thing I don't understand is the group distribution. This thing insists on throwing vertical groups. The most dramatic is with 210XLC's. Using either RL-22 or H-414, groups will range from 4-10". These groups will never be more than 1.5-2" in horizontal spread and will frequently be under an inch. The last group this evening was with factory failsafes. It put 3 into about 1.5"; 1.5" high and .3"wide. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know it just may not like x bullets, but why a constant vertical string?

Thanks!

MFH

<1GEEJAY>
posted
HEY'
I have read on this forum,that the X bullets,should be seated further back from the lands.It is unsual for a Sako,not to shoot.Did you buy it new or used?Did the barrel have a lot of rounds thru it?
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

<MFH>
posted
I purchased the rifle used, but not a lot of rounds. Reportedly a very accurate shooter. The barrel was fouled excessively, but no rust.

MFH

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an easy fix, if it is what I am thinking it is.

The bottom of the recoil lug is contacting the stock.

To fix (This is what I did to a 308):

Leave the recess as it is, because you need the action to rest on it.Bed the first 2 inches of the barrel (knox form), bed the action flat behind the recoil cross bolt, bed the tang. Don't torque up the action screws. Leave to cure. I glassed the recoil X-bolt in, just for more rigidity.

Remove action, and scrape away the bottom of the action around the screw to make the necessary clearance, using a chisel. Put it back together and you should have a shooter.

I've never seen a Sako that won't group MOA or less, if it is bedded right.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Pete's on to something. Vertical stringing is a classic sign of a bedding problem. Try Pete's fix (and get away from those X-bullets) and I'll bet you'll see a marked improvement.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
MFH---

Verticle stringing is the classic sign of uneven contact on the locking lugs. That's 99% of the time caused by improper bedding.

The cheap, fast, and easy test is to shim around the front and rear tang screws about .020 and shoot it. If it stops stringing you know there's a high place between the screws that was bending the action.