New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock refinishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is from my husqvarna '06 - I am refinishing it because it needed it. It was a trash stock but it is now looking good. I want your opinions if I should stain it at all. This is the bare wood with some water on it... Should I stain it any? or leave it natural?
thanks
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like them when they have a touch of red.

I like that grain pattern. The simple pattern with fore and aft lines.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would leave it natural. But to each his own.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i would leave it natural

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll vote 'au natural also. Seal her up and slap the beauty back together!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on your taste, I like darker stocks. What are you using for the clear coat?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd stain it.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id put some redish stain on it. Those husky stocks arent anything special. Most are inleted to deep anyway. All the beech ones are stained anyway. That looks like a walnut one. I have several and added redish color to one that I actually redid. They are good to cut up and reshaped as pattern stock. Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually stain them but I thought this one has nice grain and I don't want to loose that... it will be some kind of hand rub oil finish. Linspeed or somthing simular.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work!! I don't think Husqvarna ever stained "run of the mill" factory stocks.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This paticular one is a 1640 Swedish model. They imported one kinda like this with checkering on the forestock and a 22" barrel called the lightweight. However this one was imported late in life... about 3 years ago. Yes husqvarna made some very plain beach stocks they also made some very nice high figured french or turkish walnut stocks. The older ones especially. They made everything from the plain inexpensive firearms to the very expensive including engraving costing thousands. This rifle was in their first year of production for this 1640 series 1963 or 64... I can't remember which. Anyway thanks for your opinions.
Aaron

one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote for leaving it natural. I know red might be more traditional, but I never cared for it that much.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would put some tan on those legs

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeh, I know the legs need stained... My son has pure bread country boy legs... plus its stil winter here in Wyo.

I decided to stain it... a combo of red oak and red mehogany looked about right. \

Aaron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Aaron! Post us some pics when you can.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Staining is a lot of work, a receipt for pulling out ones hair. Unless you have finished a lot of stocks, then I would pass on the stain. It is so easy to wet sand through it and its hard to match and predict color unless you have suffered the ills of stain for years! IMO

I like a good English Red finish, and its still hard to get that exact color I want but a easy way to get there is by staining a brilliant red an then adding the finish, that dulls that red to almost a purple.

Brownells Gun Sav R has made life much easier IMO, it is so easy to use and does not require wet sanding..I fill with True oil filler and wet sand a stock, patching up spots where stain was lost, get the color I want, rub it down and then set it aside for about a week or two, Then hit it with about 5 to 10 coats of Gun Sav R...takes all the work out of it, and its one tough outdoor finish and looks like an old Linseed and egg finish.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, just kidding you about those white legs. With this long winter mine are paste.

Anyway, it looks to me like you have a lot of yellow in the stock. I think that it is a beautiful and natural color and you don't have to worry about gouge repair, where lite wood would show through. Plus, although a long ways from being an expert, I saw an instance where redding, yellow wood, made a pretty ugly color. Just my two cents and I think you have a nice piece of factory wood there.

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stained it with red oak and red mehogony and the finish of tru-oil is coming along. It seems to look very nice albeit not as contrasted as the stock without stain. The gun ain't nothin' special so I haven't hurt it. The stock was beat up, cracked in two places - large cracks at that... shortened... slip on recoil pad that had deteriated into the wood... oil had went into the wood it was as ugly as homemade sin on a popsicle stick... I bought the gun for the action. but then as I started messing with it the grain started catching my attention and one thing led to another an here we are refinishing the whole thing... OH well.
Thanks for all the advice.
Aaron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little red oil would be nice, but it's not bad the way it is.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would put some tan on those legs

quote:
Yeh, I know the legs need stained...

quote:
Aaron, just kidding you about those white legs. With this long winter mine are paste.

and to think I paid hell around here because my avatar was a naked guy playing a bull fiddle...

Cool

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote