New
Find
Notify
Tools

wyatt center feed mag box
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anybody ever use one of these? I have a rem 700 short in 257 roberts that the feed lips are messed up on and I can get to feed right. This mag uses it own mag lips correct? Also can you top feed it or do you have to drop the floor plate and fill the mag though the bottom?

skog

Posts: 55 | Location: OKC | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had all kinds of luck with these! All BAD! They are the biggest Pieces of $hit anyone would love to not have. Enough? Get a new mag box from Brownell's and be done with it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think my question might be unclear. The feed lips on the action are messed up and am looking for a cure.

Jim: Thanks for your experience.

skog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Skog, I can't answer your specific questions, because although I own one of these boxes, I have yet to take possession of the rifle (still at smith's). But here is what my smith said: he could not get the .308 Win to feed properly out of the centerfeed box, and he was very unhappy about the follower, which he called flimsy. In contrast, he liked the regular Wyatt (i.e. non centerfeed) extended box, and cited several success stories with these. So that is what we ended up using in the end.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
How did the feed rails get screwed up?

Have you looked into the Detachable Mag unit from Remington?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...TRIGGER+GUARD%2c+BDL

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...c+BLUE&s=26607#26607

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the gun used. The person before me tied to use the remington bottom metal and detachable mag in an MPI stock. They couldnt get it lined up right to feed correctaly so they sold the bottom metal, acragelled the hole in the stock over and made it an ADL. I am considering using the remington bottom metal if I dont get any more good reviews about wyatts.

skog

one of us
posted Hide Post
In terms of bottom metal, the Williams unit is a WHOLE BUNCH nicer than the Remington!!!

I believe the Wyatt extended (no centerfeed) box works just like the regular factory box in terms of loading - i.e. you load it from the top. No need to drop the floorplate. But to be sure, ask at Wyatts:http://www.wyattsoutdoor.com/contact.html.

If it was my gun, and since it is a .257 Roberts which can definitely use the extra space in the box, I'd try the Wyatt unit with a Williams bottom metal. Don't forget, the only negative feedback you have received on the Wyatts relate to the centerfeed unit, but they sell a "regular" extended mag box as well, of which I have only had good reviews (if not very many).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am intrested in the center feed model because it moves the feed lips from the action to the ones on the mag box. The feed lips are screwed up and been welded and reshaped twice by me but cant get it right.

Also there is no questioning the quality of the williams bottom metal. I have some of it for my 338 rum project.

skog

one of us
posted Hide Post
skog

I have used the center feed box for short mags. They work and feed very good after fitting.
Having said that, fitting the box and adjusting the feed lips is a nightmare in it self.
Once the lips are properly adjusted you can load from the top or bottom.
All of his boxes for Remingtons are BDL height.
If the rails on your receiver is messed up, what do you have to loose.
Send your rifle to Mr.Wyatt and have him to fit.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote