New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tridder pull weight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Getting a new trigger for the .300 win. What weight do you guys like on your hunting rifles? My choices are 8oz. adjustable to 1 1/2 lbs. or 1 1/2 lbs adjustable to 3lbs? I like a light trigger but I have never gauged mine. Thanks Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For winter hunting a heavier trigger is safer. When it's cold you just can't tell what's going to happen with gloves on.

I like a light trigger too but you have to stay safe. Even three pounds is on the light side.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3# is a good safe weight for a trigger on a bolt action rifle to be used hunting. Target shooting is a whole different world.
I'd go with the 1-1/2 - 3#

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Under 2 lbs. on a hunting rifle is pushing it. I have some rigs that I had set so light when shooting off of the bench that when I had taken them hunting they would fire quicker than I wanted when starting to squeeze one off at a deer. When I checked them they were typically at about 1 to 1 lb and a few oz.'s

I have settled in liking my hunting triggers at right on 2 lbs. It's worth gauging yours to see what the triggers you like are actually weighing in at. Most of my buds have found that the triggers they like are set at heavier weights than they guessed.

Setting one for grouping off of the bench usually gives me a lighter pull than I would guess, and is one reason to shoot a lot of different weight triggers in different shooting styles to help you decide what a good weight is for a particular style of shooting.

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got my hunting rifles set at 3lbs. Target rifles are set lighter. My Sharps set trigger is down to about 12 oz.

My smith refuses to set triggers below 3lbs. as he believes that unsafe for a hunting firearm. Also he believes that technique is as important as trigger weight, i.e., if one is a poor hunting shot with 3lbs it won't improve at less.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with the 3 to 3 1/2 lb crowd for hunting rifles.

A 3 lb, crisp single stage trigger feels lighter than what it is, and is much more controllable than a mushy, creepy, 1 1/2 lb trigger.

A 3 lb, crisp, two stage trigger with 2 lbs on the first stage and the last 1 lb on the second is heaven.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep most triggers at 1# 14oz to 2#. Maybe just a little lighter. I have shot these in -40 weather with gloves numerous times with no problems. I have an auto that is about 3#, but the bolt actions are 2# or a ocuple oz. under. It is perfectly safe, but then I have shot a lot with light triggers. It is all a matter of training.. Even a 2 stage 2 oz trigger feels heavy when you have used it a lot. Tha main thing is to have a very clean break to the trigger to me

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'll opt for the heavier one. Less than one pound seemed awful light. I appreciate the info. Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good choice.
My sniper rifles are set to 3.25#, as are my hunting rifles, varmint rifles and screw around rifles.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a hunting rifle, 4 pounds for me is fine.
The crispness and smoothness all have to do with sear engagement and how smooth the surfaces are.

In my opinion, under 2 pounds, and most times under 3.5, is crazy for a hunting rifle.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a 3 lb. trigger except on a DGR then a clean breaking 4 lb. is fine...

Light triggers below 2.5 lbs are not for the hunting field IMO...and thats too light for me. they are dangerous.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote