New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting Metric Thread on Enco Lathe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To cut a thread do you have to leave the feed engaged & back it up for another cut by reversing the motor?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can't disengage the half nut from the lead screw on metric threads. And you also have to change gears but you know that.
You use the reversing lever to move the carriage back to the right.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. Now would any one know what the tap drill size is for a 10x.7 metric thread is. I'm making the pc that holds the firing pin on a old Spanish shot gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Silvers. I will be sure to save that site.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Take a cut. Back out real fast while reversing feed. Feed compound in. Reverse feed again. Take a cut. Back out real fast again. Repeat repeat repeat REAL FAST. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not the way I do it; if you reverse the direction while the carriage is moving, it won't reverse; it will continue on, and that will be bad. This lathe is electric; not a clutch type.
Just stop the lathe when it is almost at the end of your cut. Then back out the tool, and reverse the carriage.
Trying to do it "real fast" will not be good.
I've done this, on this lathe, many times.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
if you reverse the direction while the carriage is moving, it won't reverse; it will continue on, [/QUOTE]
Not with 3-phase Big Grin

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.conradhoffman.com/metricthreading.htm About 1/2 way down the page. Been using this technique for over 30yrs. Works every time as long as you keep your head out for your ***. Hoffman explains it better than I can/could.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many phases an Enco lathe has but for sure, if you move the switch to reverse while it is in forward, it does nothing. I know nothing about phases. Maybe the moon phases.
And those directions in the link, do not apply to an Enco lathe; you will end up with a mess of crossed "threads".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is actually a way to cut metric threads on a lathe with imperial lead screw and disengage the half nuts. Have done it several times in the past with excellent results, but still so seldom I have to watch the video each time I cut some! I'll try to find it and post a link.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Lucky mine will reverse. clap makes life easier.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kendog:
There is actually a way to cut metric threads on a lathe with imperial lead screw and disengage the half nuts. Have done it several times in the past with excellent results, but still so seldom I have to watch the video each time I cut some! I'll try to find it and post a link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXt4TWa382Q

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow; confusing. I know how to cut metric threads and will just leave the half nut engaged. I do it all the time on ZKK actions; why they changed from 12 TPI make zero sense. Yes, I stop the lathe just before the cut is at the shoulder, then reverse. Come on over and I'll teach you. (And by using the word, You, I am not referring to anyone.) So no more hate PMs.
Not rocket surgery.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's the one. I've actually met Tom Lipton. Smart guy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a few here may have learned how to thread metric, with an inch lead screw, to a shoulder without having to keep the half nut engaged all of the time. All it takes is putting the proper gears on, set the QC leavers in their proper position for the desired pitch, and a little practice. Do it however you want. It's just another way of accomplishing the same task.SFM matters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried to ponder how much time and mo;ney is wasted through out the world screwing around with Metric vs SAE.

Everything from CNC's to allen wrenches must be accomodated ..along with the expense to do so.

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve been threading metric by that method, too easy to disengage thread nut, back out with the cross slide and stop the lathe. Reverse spindle and re-engage threading on the same number on the dial as it comes back the other way. Works very well as long as you’re not one revolution out on that thread dial. The biggest problem I’ve had was forgetting to change out the gears after a metric thread before threading in inches again! Solved that by putting a placard on the face of the lathe that says ‘METRIC’ when I have the gears switched over.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I think the foot brake is a blessing when threading metric I don't disengage the half nut. On an older lathe without one then the halfnut way would help getting close to the shoulder. I always set an indicator up to my saddle so when the oil and chips make the stopping point hard to see, the needle on the dial leaves no doubt.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
I’ve been threading metric by that method, too easy to disengage thread nut, back out with the cross slide and stop the lathe. Reverse spindle and re-engage threading on the same number on the dial as it comes back the other way. Works very well as long as you’re not one revolution out on that thread dial. The biggest problem I’ve had was forgetting to change out the gears after a metric thread before threading in inches again! Solved that by putting a placard on the face of the lathe that says ‘METRIC’ when I have the gears switched over.

Been there, done that!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my craftsman 12x36 with a QCGB I swapped the 48 tooth idler gears for a 52/44 combo gear. I can now cut the most common metric threads by moving the sliding gear to the inner position. I lost being able to cut threads 7tpi and coarser.

I leave the half nuts engaged when cutting metric threads. Works for me.