New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switch barrel????
 Login/Join

<hkr>
posted
How does this work? I am left handed an am very interested in the Winchester Model 70 Feather Weaght in the short mags. I would like to get one in 7mm and rebarrel to 338 WSM. How does a switch barrel work?? Could the factory barrel be used, How hard is it to change barrels, what about head space, how much more $$$ on the new barrel to make it a switch?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hkr,
I think you are almost asking the impossible to mix those two cartridges. The shape of the short mag is going to create feed problems that when solved, will create them in the 7 mag. You have to have something that is compatible, like a 7 mag and a .338 mag.

There are a number of ways to do it. The easiest is where you just remove the barrel and screw on the other one and the bottom of the barrel and the action has an index mark to tell you when it is good regarding head space. The down side is you have to carry a portable vice and action wrench and it takes time to make the switch. The expensive ones have a variety of methods and the resulting rifles are usually far more expensive than two rifles off the rack, in fact more expensive by a long shot.

[ 12-10-2002, 12:20: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hkr,

I am assuming you are talking about a 7mm WSM and a 338 WSM. If so then feeding should be no problem between the two calibres.

If the action is faced of nice and square you don't need index marks for headspace. However point of imapct will often vary by 6 or 7 inches between barrels.

For the sytle of rifle you are talking about a switch barrel would be something that you would only do every now and then. Firstly, you will need to take the rifle apart to remove the barrel which is not something we need to do with bench style rifles.

In the last 15 or 20 years virtually every rifle I have owned has had more than one barrel for the action. In addition I have had the setup where barrels can be changed between actions. You need push feed actions to do this.

But with sporting style rifles the switch barrel is really about having say a 7mm WSM now because that is how you are inclined at the moment. Then next year or next month you might be hot for a 300 WSM or a 6mm WSM so you stick the other barrel on.

You do save on scopes and obviously actions. But more importantly you put the other barrel on a known performing combination of action, scope and mounts. The barrel vice setup is real simple. Just two aluminium blocks with Vs in them and a bolt and nut either side. The action wrench is also simple. It just looks like a bar that is a small T piece and with one side of the T not there. The half T s pushed into the front receiver ring of the action.

In reality, the switch barrel set up is for gun nuts who happen to also shoot animals as distinct from hunters who happen to use a rifle. They are quite commonly used in the field when shooting in Australia.

Mike

[ 12-10-2002, 13:01: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am building one on a Rem 700, as Robgunbuilder explained to me too, there is simply a set screw in the reciever, if it's even needed, an action wrench and barrel vice needed and your on your way. You can easily change them in the field with these. Once the stock is bedded and fit for the barrels, you can have a barrel threaded and chambered from the original specs without needing the action for fitting. Mine will be a series of Ultra Mags based on the 300 Ultra BDLSS reciever with the WSM chamberings to follow them, as they feed fine from the 300 Ultras rail setup. Maybe some WSSMs single fed later too. A smith up here says he builds about 20 a year like this and some have as many as 20 barrels for them too. I don't see how it could get any less exspensive than this, well using takeoff barrels would be cheaper than custom ones I guess. [Smile]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, good observation on your part, slapping myself around, lol.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

I make those accurate observations when I have nothing to do down here, which has been the case this week [Big Grin] You must be busy this week [Smile]

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also look into www.hawkbullets.com. They make custom switch barrel rifles.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Clint>
posted
Mike,
I am having a mental lapse, why do you need a push feed for a switch barrel setup?

Safe Hunting