New
Find
Notify
Tools

Draw filing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 2 rifle barrels with barely palpable diameter changes after machining but visible when held to the light. To clean up, what would be the prefered direction of filing- toward the greater diameter or the lesser diameter. I don't want to dig a belly, I know how to use files, stones, etc. Thanks to all in advance.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go from big to small, but don't see a lot of difference either way.

After filing, I take a couple of oak boards about 2 inches wide and 10 to 12 inches long, face them together and clamp them. Then, drill a hole centered on the joint between them, just a bit bigger than the larger end of the barrel. Use a sheet of wet/dry sandpaper one one piece, and sand lengthwise, just like you draw filed. Going lengthwise on the barrel makes a much better finish than wrapping the paper and sanding around the barrel. the 10 inch piece gives you enough to grip each side comfortably. When you eliminate all scratches from the next coarser piece, go down a size, and do it again. You only need one of the pieces of wood to polish, the other is just to center the bit while you drill.

I do 80 grit, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220,320,400,800.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ssdave, That sounds like an excellent method. Thanks for posting, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote