New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low scope mount for M 70
 Login/Join

<PCH>
posted
I'm looking for a scope mount for a Winchester Classic Featherweight in 308 WIN. My priorities are in order:
1)strong and reliable

2)as low as possible with a Swarovski 3-9 which has the exact same dimensions as a Leupold 2.5-8X36 except that it's 10 mm or so longer.

3)Quick detachable. not so important but a bonus.

I'm leaning towards the Leupold dual dovetail but am not certain yet. Any other ideas??

<Don Martin29>
posted
I have almost all Weaver mounts. This is just happened to me over the years by the path of least resistance. The standard Weaver "Tip Off" mount is inexpensive, strong, very light can be removed and replaced with only a coin.

I asked on this forum what mounts others liked and why and many said that the Talley was the best. Well the Talley is very expensive and heavier. So far I am still buying Weavers. Maybe I will like another. Time will tell.

I have had the regular Weavers on a M-99F in .358 Win since 1966. The scope has never come off the rifle and never moved.

The "Dual Dovetails" are heavy and not detachable at all. I have other Leupold, Lyman, Sako, Ruger, Buehler, Redfield and german claw mounts. Weavers are good.

[ 06-11-2002, 18:18: Message edited by: Don Martin29 ]

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I like and use the Leupold QRW mounts. It's a Weaver style steel base with claw style quick detach Leupold rings. Strong, low, and returns to zero readily after dismounting. I prefer them to enable carrying a sighted in spare scope into the back country and eliminates the need for a spare rifle.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i agree with don. Weavers ain't much for pretty, but they're hell for stout. You can buy better looking mounts and rings, but i don't really think you can buy any better rings and mounts. Certainly not for any reasonable amount of money. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the past 4 years I've had a set of Leupold QR stud-type low bases/rings on my M70 stainless 300 Wby holding a Vari-X III 3.5-10X40. They're low, sleek and withstand all the punishment I can dish out to this, my rough-country backpacking rifle. Low in price, bulletproof and look good as well. They also return to zero, by the way. You can buy more expensive systems, and uglier systems, but you cannot buy a better system than the QR's. Hope this helps.

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PCH, check out Burris's Singnature double dovetails, with the nylon inserts. Also with over or under size inserts you can adjust for longer range leaving your scope centered.

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently installed Weaver mounts on a featherweight 308. So far I've been happy with them. The dual dov tail system is good, however, it is not detachable. I don't like redfield system with the rear screw.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dual dovetails are very strong but not detachable. They're also pretty light and trim, I don't know where the comment about them being heavy came from. Leupold's QR rings and bases are very strong and fairly light, they're also trim and good looking.

<PCH>
posted
THanks,
I'm still leaning towards the dual dovetail. The detach thing isn't that important to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PCH,

If you are looking to get as low a mount as possible, then you should look at Conetrol mounts. They are elegant, strong, and have built-in windage adjustment on the front and rear mounts. They are also expensive and a bear to mount, and are not QD. But if you want a low mount that is beautiful and recoil-proof, they are the way to go.

www.conetrol.com

Regards, Wayne E.

Posts: 68 | Location: Duluth, Minnesota | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
Talley rings and bases, you wont be disappointed. they are the best I have ever used.
lb404