New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope mounting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be mounting a burris 4x12 mini on my ruger stainless. My question is, do i or should i use some sort of "glue" etc. on the scope and ring screw's? I have heard of using a lite form of locktite or even clear finger nail polish. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
btt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not use anything inside the rings themselves, but there are those who opt for friction tape, flexible cements, etc.

I do, however, lap my rings prior to mounting a scope and the caps are indexed so they can be placed properly in the future.

Ring screws are secured with Locktite #242, (Blue), which is a medium strength adhesive with some fill capability. This adhesive allows disassembly with hand tools fairly easy.

New rings, bases, and screws often have a light coat of oil to prevent corrosion during marketing. This needs to be removed. Make sure the receiver holes are clean and free of oil also.

What kind of rings and bases are you using?

~Holmes

[ 12-09-2002, 10:05: Message edited by: Holmes ]

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stock stainless ruger rings are what i will be using.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a really big fan of lapping rings. Not only does it give me a better tube-to-ring fit, the lap tool can be used to align the rings, or at least tell you if they are out of whack.

If you don't know anyone who has a lapping kit, I'd sure consider having a 'smith do them up for you. I can't imagine it would cost very much.

Take care and good luck.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote