New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harry Lawson Cochise thumbhole
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At this point, I want to restock a medium action Sako into a thumbhole stock. Leter, I want to restock a long action Sako into a thumbhole stock. For practical shooting reasons, I want both stocks to be the same. I looked into Boyd's but they don't offer a thumbhole for the Sako action. I looked into Richard's Microfit but was met with many negative reviews. I'm now looking into Harry Lawson's Cochise thumbhole and have heard nothing but praise on its behalf.

However, according to Randy at Harry Lawson, they can't ship a stock to Canada. Anyone know anything about the quality of the Cochise thumbhole and how I can get one to Canada?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Do you know anyone that commutes back and forth, truckers etc? Is it the "gun part" issue? Have somebody in the States send it as a piece of wood, it would be accurate.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
I have a 700 Remington in a Cochise Thumbhole and I love it! Sure improved my off hand shooting.
I had mine built in the late 70's and dealt direct with Harry. If the workmanship hasn't declined you'll be well pleased.
They use their own bottom metal(nice) with a shotgun type crossbolt safety. Blueing is excellent and they engraved the caliber designation on the barrel, a nice touch. The only negative is that they epoxied my trigger adjustment screws in place and I had to have my gunsmith deal with that. Liability I guess.
You're going to have to send the rifle to them to have the necessary work done. The factory safety is eliminated and the above mentioned shotgun type safety is used. A tab is brazed to the back of the trigger to work with the new safety, requiring some hand fitting.
This is not a "drop in" It sounds like you may need to go to plan "B"

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stepchild,

Due to the rigors of red tape, my plan is to purchase only the stock then glass bed and free float the barrel myself. In fact, unless a better method comes my way, I'll follow the bedding routine described on 'Shooting Beyond Belief'. Randy at Harry lawson expressed no reservations regarding my plan. Nonetheless, I'm always open to suggestions.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote