New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel blue in the grooves?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm cleaning up a 1955 Marlin 336 for the coming deer season. Gun didn't get much used, no screws turned, VG original condition.

I ran a couple of wet patches through the bore, not much came out, I now have it soaking with some Wipe Out.

I was examining the muzzle to see if there were any burrs and I noticed that although the lands are clean metal, silver colored, the area between, the grooves, look as though they still have bluing in them.

When these barrels were originaly blued were they blued inside as well or is it really residue that needs to be scrubbed with JB Bore paste? I don't want to have to clean anymore than necessary.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1683 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel was blued inside and outside at the factory. What you are seeing would be the original finish in the grooves. I'd think that would be a good thing as it confirm that the gun has seen little use or neglect.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i remember reading somewhere, hatchers book ? maybe, that the military tested barrels that were blued on the inside and found that they resisted wear better than raw steel barrels.

Posts: 979 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for confirming that men, saves me a lot of arm work and the the barrel unnecessary scrubbing.

Great forum, as usual.

Regards,
Rob

Posts: 1683 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote