Find
Notify
Tools

whitworth question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
I am looking at a whitworth in 375 H&H. However, I was examining the feed ramp and it is obvious metal has been removed. I noted a high spot nearly in the middle and am wondering if this can be fixed and if it should preclude one from buying at its a very good price. The rest of the rifle is excellent. I am taking some dummy rounds tomorrow to check function.

Thanks.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It may or may not be a problem. No way to know without photos.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would take out the striker assy, load the magazine with 300gr ammo and run it through - repeatedly. If any you might use for dangerous game fail to feed even once, look for something else or consult a good gunsmith on the possibilities.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interarms removed a whole lotta feed ramp on those Whitworths. I wouldn't own one myself.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interarms removed a whole lotta feed ramp on those Whitworths.

Any 98 mauser converted to the 375 H&H or similar long cartridge had basically the same amount of metal removed. Yes when I look at it I always had a second of hesitation. That said I have never had nor heard of an issue caused by the removal of the metal.

If someone could point me to a failing I would love to read it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is why I remove most of the metal from the back of the mag box and bolt stop

Do your move the back wall of the box back or simply thin it? I file it down to just about paper thin and adjust the bolt stop. I can't "SEE" that it makes must difference on what I needed to remove in the front.

I've heard of doing it almost all from the rear but for this hobbiest it looked like more action work than I could handle.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
so, the 375 feed ramp looks as other posters have described; a recoil lug was dovetailed onto the under side of the barrel. it feeds and ejects well. the guy at the shop tried to tell me it was a magnum action but it measured 3.6 so it tells me no although I may be wrong?

It was also bedded very nicely. the bolt is smooth and positive. the safety is positive and overall appears to be a nice rifle.

My question from the forum is whether $999 is within range for price. I know, I have not put up any pics. It is a Manchester England gun as evidenced by the writing on the sidewall of the reciever and the Whitworth pad.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
It has the Whitworth crest on the front top receiver ring. the side says whitworth manchester england. brown recoil pad that says whitworth. crip cap is single screw type with color case hardened features. 3 leaf screw on island rear sight. banded sling swivel. screw type front sight. perhaps one assembled with whitworth components then?

i thought a forum member named idaho sharpshooter was selling a Whitworth action in the last year he said was a D action or some such with a 3.85 mag? this is definitely not that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bluefish, if it is a genuine Whitworth 375H&H then you have little to worry about, I'm almost certain that it would have been proofed before it left England. Check for"BNP" marks.
Besides, those actions are supposedly chrome- moly and super tough, just make sure that some bubba hasn't been playing with it after it got to the USA.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
it certainly fed and ejected well enough. pretty rock solid for a nice trim 375.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ram, here is one documented case; Frank de Haas in his book, Bolt Action Rifles, relates a story of an FN action which had been opened up to accommodate the 375 length by cutting the feed ramp forward

Thanks I have his 3rd edition that I bought in the early 90s. Nice and weathered. Can't believe I missed that write up.

Also wonder if the comments you read about the high quality of the metal in the MKX being true and making a difference.

Yes I have owned a number of MKX 375s over the years. Would own another if the price was right and I needed a magnum 375. That said I wouldn't take that action and put a WBY case in it and run it to the max. That is me. I seem to lean more to belt and suspenders and I get oulder.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Seems to be a lot more meat on the Argentine bolt stops compared to others. At least on some I have.

This is interesting, have others found this to be true? I wish I did, I just don't have any in my parts bin to check and have never thought about it before.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here ever seen a broken lower lug recess or one set-back so far as to be unusable on a Mauser .375 H&H, built by a reputable manufacturer? Anyone? Anyone?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nope, nor have I seen one built by a disreputable one fail either. Meaning amateurs.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote