New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm inquiring for a family member on this one.

Has anyone heard of or purchased a Mauser from Mitchell's Mausers? They are advertising �Military new Mauser 98K-style rifles from Yugoslavia� that were produced around 1943 and are asking $295 for an orginal "collector's grade" model. Are these for real? Is this a deal or a fleecing? Is "collector's grade" an indicator that the rifles are in great shape (or just old)? Are they nice rifles as is? Is the 98K a preferred base for a custom rifle over other types of Mausers? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$295 for that rifle isn't worth it. It's a Yugo 98, not a real K98. If you want a collector, buy a Russian captured K98 from FAC, or Aimsurplus. For $225 you would have a real collector. If you just want a plinker, buy the Yugo from FAC or SOG, they are only $79. If you want a buildable action, get a VZ-24 from FAC, they are $79. Also SOG has Czech 98/22's for $58 these were made in the 20's and sold to Turkey, they are packed with cosmoline, but they all have good to excellent bores, and shoot great. 1400rds of 8x57 only cost's $70 at Century Arms.

www.centuryarms.com

www.aimsurplus.com

www.gunsnstuff.net

http://southernohiogun.com/

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Major Caliber said.

Mitchell's Mausers appears to buy Yugos re sell at a big mark up.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Clark and Major.

You can get a good Yugo for under $100, and a super one well below $200. Go check the sponsors at www.gunboards.com. A couple of them specifically list every ding and scratch on each item. They charge accordingly, but it's well worth it.

Sometimes "collector grade" means "Looks dangerous to me... not going to test fire it".

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! That's exactly what I needed.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is FAC ? and ya got a link?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FAC Federal Arms Corp www.gunsnstuff.net

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Major,

Re: FAC, have you seen the condition of their VZ's? I called about getting some of these a few months back and they wouldn't be specific on how much pitting there actually was on these actions.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a couple of Yugo 48s from Mitchell as well as those from AIM and local gun shows and I have to conclude that those from Mitchell are indeed a little nicer but not nice enough to worth twice the price. You should be able to get one beside Mitchell in excellent condition for around $150 max.

Posts: 204 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Major,

Re: FAC, have you seen the condition of their VZ's? I called about getting some of these a few months back and they wouldn't be specific on how much pitting there actually was on these actions.

Thanks, Rob

Rob,

The one's I got were complete rifles, the actions had zero pitting, barrels were dark. Great for building a rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen/sold some of the Yugo's from Mitchells and they are indeed excellent. In fact, the ones at the top of their price range are certified as military new. They have never been issued. They were completed and kept in arsenal storage, being taken out every few years or so for a function test (firing). These unissued grade rifles have beautiful wood and perfect bluing. I've even sold one that had this perfectly grained blonde wood... The followers show a little bit of wear due to the small number of rounds put through them, so they have been fired, but overall is all new. These also come with a full kit: bayonet/sheath/frog, sling, etc. All just like would have been issued if it came to that.

Granted, it is not a true 98K, so the value is not the same. I hate the way they are sometimes advertised as 98K rifles from Yugoslavia. I do feel that if someone likes the 8x57 cartridge, and is looking for a new, very dependable CRF rifle, this is a great way to go. You could spend a lot more on a new Remington and get half the quality! The only bonus would be that the Rem is predrilled for a scope. I wouldn't buy one to use as a basis for a gun project, but I would buy one to keep as original for shooting/collecting. In fact, the M48 action has a few 'short'comings not shared by the other variants of the 98. That's why I went with a VZ24 for my project. It helps to work at a gun shop, so you can pick from the shipments, too.

Anyway, that's my $.02 on the Mitchells M48s - definitely not the way to go for a project, but a great way to get a super rifle to shoot just as it is. It would be a small project to put a scope on it, but it's not worth buying to convert to some other caliber. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maxman
I have a M24/47 action (it is the same length as the M48) that I am going to build a 7X57 on, I have a Lother Walter Pre threaded and chambered barrel, I will have installed. I have built 9 rifles over the years on different 98 actions, I am fimular with them. I have the the barrel and drilling tapping done. I do not have a leigh are drill jig. Do the rest of the work my self. You stated in your post that the Yugo actions had problems making into a custom rifle. Please tell us what these problems are?
Thank You

one of us
posted Hide Post
Texan - for your project, the M48 makes perfect sense. I was referring to the shorter length of this action when trying to build something in 30-06 length cartridges. You won't be able to seat bullets out as far as in other 98 actions, due to the difference in length of the action and magazine. For a 7x57, it would be great. Also, the bolt handle is bent, but not enough of a bend to be truly compatible with a scope. You will have some bolt handle work to do here, just as with an action using a straight handle.

So, it's not that they are poor actions - they just are not the right action for all custom work. For anything to do with a shorter cartridge (or even the cartridge they were designed for ), they will work great. It all depends what you have in mind! I'm in the same situation as you - no lathe, but have been doing everything but the drill/tap for scopes myself. It's a good project. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While almost new M48 actions can be had, they are poorly machined and require a lot of clean up work to make them suitable for a custom rifle. There are far better actions available that require much less work.