Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 600 Scout Scope Mount
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted
Is anyone making a scout mount for the M600? I need a couple of them. Don't know how they compare to the current M7 Remington?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think I have an original Redfield or Leupold scout scope mount for Rem M600. Will check tomorrow.

Willis.

Posts: 152 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Why would you want a scout set up on a 600 ? I use a leupold 2x8x33 on mine, mounted over the action and the balance is perfect. You get used to sliding the ammo in and down after a few tries. I would think a scout set up would make it handle like a fence post.

Posts: 5710 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
In a very early ad from 1965, they show a barrel mounted scope, long before Cooper's misguided idea for a "scout" scope originated. It does make the 600 handle awkwardly.
They handle much better with a scope mounted on the receiver. IMO.

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

I have gone up against scope scouted rifles and a timer with my hunting rifles with regular scopes several times just for giggles. I am the self admitted, poorest offhand rifle shot in the world, but I absofuckinglutely slaughter the scout scoped rifles. It's actually the only way I can beat someone in speed and accuracy events. One guy told me that they are better because you can shoot with both eyes open. I've been shooting with both eyes open with regular scopes all of my life. I simply don't see the advantage of handicapping yourself so much. But I'm kinda funny that way.

Tom is correct. Back in the 1960s, Redfield for a time offered a mount they called the Frontier Mount system for mounting pistol scopes on rifles, but it never caught on and was discontinued quite quickly.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found the mount. It is new, with four mounting screws. Mount is marked “600IER”. It is in a Redfield box with the words 600IER handwritten on the box.

Send me via PM an email address or text number, and I will send pictures.

Regards,

Willis

Posts: 152 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may only be slightly similar to the topic. I have a pistol scope and I mounted it forward on a Sheridan air rifle. Very clumsy arrangement in that it made pumping it up very awkward. I'll stick to my peep sights on my Sheridans.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only advantage I see to "Scout" mounts is if you get tired of carrying your gun, it's easier to hang it from a tree limb.

For all other purposes, it's a disadvantage unless you are stuck with some old military rifle that simply won't allow a normal mount.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
So the one on my Marlin 95 doesn't work? Sure fooled me. Two whitetails would complain too. Thanks for the advice.