New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose Dovetail
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Everyone, I had to buy a new barrel tenon for an older Marlin, I could not find an original anywhere. Anyway, the new tenon is the right length and height but is very loose. Any tips on tightening it?? I don't want to modify the barrel dovetail, only the dovetail on the tenon where it fits into the barrel. Any good glues, adhesives? Thanks!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I had this problem with a globe sight on an old 45/70 once. The way I fixed it was to get a set of feeler gauges at the auto parts store (about $3). Get a pair of tin snips and cut a small piece of each gauge that's close to the thickness you need and place it under the tenion and insert it into the dovetail. This will drive the tenion into the top of the dovetail creating the resistance you need. You'll find one with the correct resistance and use it. If you cut them carefully you'll never see them once the part is installed. There may be a better way, but that's how I handled the problem.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the gap is not too large you can also peen/stipple the bottom of the tenon to expand it enough to grip.
Would help to know exactly where it's loose and by how much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
stipple the bottom of the dove tail and that will move the sight upward and make it tight..or as a last resort peen each side of the dove tail downward very carefully on the edges..or do both...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the reply's. I really apreciate it!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Oh man am I gonna get it for this one, but you can also use 5 minute epoxy, just a dot and clean any off with a toothpick. If you want to remove it just heat it, the 5 minute stuff loosens up pretty easily.

I know, not as traditional as center punching in a place or two, but it does not permanently alter either piece if that is important.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, but has anyone used any of the locktite products?