THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    softest recoil pad, using slip-on pad over mounted pad?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

softest recoil pad, using slip-on pad over mounted pad?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Question Number 1:

I am looking for opinions on the softest pad out there these days. Yes, i know that recoil attenuation is subjective, so please tell me YOUR opinion on which pad felt like it "soaked up" the most recoil.

Requirements:

-absorb the most recoil/spread it out over the most time/whatever to make it feel best on your shoulder

Don't give a damn about:

-looks
-grindability
-how long it lasts (as long as it lasts for 60 days then I am happy)
-price
-if it sticks to gun safe carpet, dog hair, or anything else
-how well it holds up to use in a hot environment
-anything else that is not "soaks up the most recoil"

I started using Limb Savers several years ago, but know there are some newer ones (hi-viz, Packmeyer XLT, etc.) on the market. I bought a 1.4" Kick-Eez to try out, but it seems to be even harder than a Decelerator.

Question Number B:

Has anyone used a slip-on pad over a mounted pad? What if you had a Limb Saver or Decelerator screwed to your stock and then used a slip-on Limb Saver over it. Did/would it work, or would it be just be an unstable and shifting mess?

Thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
Question Number 1:

I am looking for opinions on the softest pad out there these days. Yes, i know that recoil attenuation is subjective, so please tell me YOUR opinion on which pad felt like it "soaked up" the most recoil.

Requirements:

-absorb the most recoil/spread it out over the most time/whatever to make it feel best on your shoulder

Don't give a damn about:

-looks
-grindability
-how long it lasts (as long as it lasts for 60 days then I am happy)
-price
-if it sticks to gun safe carpet, dog hair, or anything else
-how well it holds up to use in a hot environment
-anything else that is not "soaks up the most recoil"

I started using Limb Savers several years ago, but know there are some newer ones (hi-viz, Packmeyer XLT, etc.) on the market. I bought a 1.4" Kick-Eez to try out, but it seems to be even harder than a Decelerator.

Question Number B:

Has anyone used a slip-on pad over a mounted pad? What if you had a Limb Saver or Decelerator screwed to your stock and then used a slip-on Limb Saver over it. Did/would it work, or would it be just be an unstable and shifting mess?

Thanks!

After 2 shoulder surgerys I have been using a kick ez with a limb saver over it for the last 3 or so years. All is good Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Marc,

I agree with tsturm. There are different models of kick-Eez. If you slice the "skin" off of the back of a Kick-Eez it is softer.

I will take a llok see at some info about the "gel" type pads that competition shot gunners use. It may be possible to install a gel pad and put a limb saver over it.

Anyway, you cannot go wrong with tsturm's advice.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
You can talk about recoil pads, but for protection from hard or just a lot of kicking I suggest using a PAST or other vest in addition to whatever is on the gun.

I once tried to fit a slip on pad over another recoil pad and didn't feel like it did much. Plus it made it awkward to shoulder and not just from increased LOP. What I could see doing is getting some firm closed cell foam like what is used in the firmer sleeping pads and gluing that to the butt, then gluing the recoil pad to that. Maybe bring an extra piece of foam and a tube of contact cement if you are going on a long hunt, but personally I'd just try a pachmayr 660 with a PAST recoil shield.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark just put what I intended to post except I could not remember the name PAST. They make (or used to make) Vests, Shirts and a Shoulder Harness Rig (similar to a Shoulder Holster).

The current generation Remington Recoil Pad with a Script R on it is as good as a Decellerator. Don't know who makes this one for Remington, but it works great for a buddy who has a shoulder problem. His new rifle is a 30-06, so it surprised me when he experiences "no discomfort at all" after a day at the Range.

Changing to a slightly Slower Powder spreads the Recoil Impulse over a slightly longer time and does help. Plus, you can always Download.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Here is the best I have found. It is big enough to help disperse the recoil, soft enough to cushion the blow, durable enough to use on your rifle for an entire hunt in Africa without tearing and coming apart and cheap enough to even make a miser smile.

http://www.cabelas.com/product...2Bpad&Ntt=recoil+pad

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote