New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle coating suggestions...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a rifle I would like to have coated/finished and would like suggestions. It is more of a shooter than a full custom rig. I would like something that will withstand weather fairly well and look nice as well, matte black is fine. I have been looking at Ro-Bars Roguard and Beartooth. Any opinions are appreciated.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's Aluma-Hyde. Don't be fooled by the name; it's not only for aluminum. Aerosol spray can. No baking in the oven, just air dry. It sticks real well to bead-blasted stainless steel.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've got two rifles with KG Gunkote on them and have been very satisfied with how it looks and holds up.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I've often thought of having one powder coated, like they do to racing car frames. Many colors to choose from, but my question would be about the amount of heat required to cure the powder coat.

Anyone ever thought of or tried this?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re: powder coating

It is my understanding that the heat is fine, it is the thickeness of the coating that presents the problem most of the time.

Another coating idea is hardchrome. I love the way it looks (bead blasted), is very hard, and will not allow the metal below it to rust

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pa frank
Powder coating
In northern B.C., Corlanes Sporting goods does it. They might be able to point you to a stateside source.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corlane has done Powder coating for me. The finish is very durable, the only part they don't cote is the internals, they get Teflon. It has to do with the thickness of the product. Very tough finish and a wide selection of colors.
bigbull

Posts: 401 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just get it matte blued.

The problem I see with bake-on or spray-on coatings is that you can't do internal parts as the 'paint' so to speak adds thickness to the pieces.

Blueing is more weather resistant than you think.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Powder coating and bake on enamels and such are for roll bars and done buggy frames etc not for real rifles

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had terrible job done w/ Duracoat, three great jobs done with KG Guncoat from Mac's Restorations. Mac is a sheriff deputy and does duty weapons, very meticulous, give him a call. Next one will be a flexible ceramic from http://www.fit4duty.us/

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote