New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need 458 socom or 45 win mag reamer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to rebarrel my Yugo mauser to 458 socom or 45 win mag, but the barrel maker I am using does not have these reamers. Anyone know where I can rent these reamers? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
They have the 45 W mag.
http://4-dproducts.com/display.php?group=Rifle+Calibers...97b5745d6c7698cafed1

I talked to them last year about a reamer they didn't have. They offered to cut me a deal. Little higher than normal rental but far cheaper than buying it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a 45acp rifle with a $17 .469" straight fluted reamer and a $30 45acp throater back in 2000. That rifle has been fun at the range.

Per SAAMI drawings, the taper of the 45 Win mag chamber is
.4807 + .004" at the rear and .4742 + .004" at the mouth.

A commercial reamer will come in a the small end of that.

If you want to shoot groups at 100 yards with the rifle, my advise would be to save some money and gain some accuracy with a straight fluted reamer and a throater.

The Lee Carbide die is .467" and the brass springs back to .469" when it comes out. The base of the case at the web is not going to go in with the shell holder in the way, and it very hard to resize if it does. It is ~.470"~.

If you have been doing the math, you now realize that a commercial 45 Win Mag reamer is going to be .012" sloppy, and great groups at 100 yards will not result.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. I am not able to chamber a barrel myself. I am planning on having the barrel made in 458 caliber, that should take the slop out.

Ranb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your plan may be more elaborate than stated, but giving a run of the mill gunsmith a 45WM reamer and a .458 groove barrel will not get the slop out.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
Your plan may be more elaborate than stated, but giving a run of the mill gunsmith a 45WM reamer and a .458 groove barrel will not get the slop out.

Yep, considering the 45 Win mag bullets are .451-.452; not .458 like the SOCOM. And even if jacketd pistol bullets will obdurate in the .458 barrel, cast ones will rattle all the way down and lead the bore something fierce.

Lastly, the 45 Win Mag case is far too small for the heavyweight 45 caliber bullets. Tromex (do a Yahoo search) and Sportsmans Guns in Conroe TX have the 458 SOCOM reamer and can do the work for you.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I plan on using 458 cast bullets, subsonic only. Pac-Nor may be the one chambering the barrel for me, if they are willing to do it.

I heard that Tromix was not going to chamber any more 458 socom barrels until starline started making the brass right. Was I mis-informed? Thanks.

Ranb

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I think Tromix has his hands full now with Saiga conversions, last I heard he wasn't doing any SOCOMS at all anymore.

The new Starline SOCOM brass seems to be pretty decent, and is in stock at Midway. None are noticeably short in the shoulder like my last batch.

I just received some Starline 45 Win Mag brass, there is no taper in the case as received, its a straigh .470" from neck to forward of the extractor groove.

I'd love to find a piloted .473 or there abouts straight reamer.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
I plan on using 458 cast bullets, subsonic only. Pac-Nor may be the one chambering the barrel for me, if they are willing to do it.

I heard that Tromix was not going to chamber any more 458 socom barrels until starline started making the brass right. Was I mis-informed? Thanks.

Ranb

I'll be the first to admit my 45 cal knowledge is very incomplete but isn't going to be very difficult to load 458 bullets with dies that size for 451? Seems you're going to have a significant bulge to the base of the bullet that will interfere with chambering?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote